Grokbase Groups HBase dev May 2010
Hey,

I'm a total Maven n00b, and I'm trying to add Avro's latest release as a
dependency for HBase as part of HBASE-2400. I've opened up the top-level
pom.xml, added the <dependency> information for Avro, and tried to run mvn
-DskipTests install. The compilation fails, since some of my new files use
Avro classes, and for some reason the Avro jar is not downloaded (it does
not show up in ~/.m2/repository/...).

You can see the precise change I made to pom.xml at
http://github.com/hammer/hbase-trunk-with-avro/commit/92c0e08b52cc9b41f28d26cb571ac1511f457c76#diff-9
.

Could anyone with more Maven knowledge help me debug this build issue, or at
least give me some pointers on where to look?

Thanks,
Jeff

Search Discussions

  • Lars Francke at May 18, 2010 at 9:24 am

    Could anyone with more Maven knowledge help me debug this build issue, or at
    least give me some pointers on where to look?
    That's a simple thing to fix: You have added the dependencies to the
    "dependencyManagement" section. That just tells other modules that use
    this pom "Hey, if you want one of these dependencies I've already
    configured everything for you so you don't have to specify a version
    or the excludes.". But it is a "template" you have to add those
    dependencies to a <dependency> section somewhere. At the moment the
    easiest thing to do (as we'll move around the maven stuff anyway) is
    to just move all the dependencies you've defined in the top-level pom
    to the core/pom.xml file's <dependency> section[1]

    I hope that helps.

    Cheers,
    Lars

    [1] http://github.com/hammer/hbase-trunk-with-avro/blob/trunk/core/pom.xml#L162
  • Jeff Hammerbacher at May 18, 2010 at 1:11 pm
    Hey Lars,

    That seemed to work. I added an entry to the HBase Maven primer:
    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/MavenPrimer#newjar. Feel free to clarify
    with the reason this works.

    Thanks,
    Jeff
[...]

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedMay 18, '10 at 8:47a
activeMay 18, '10 at 1:11p
websitehbase.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Jeff Hammerbacher: 2 posts Lars Francke: 1 post