Grokbase Groups HBase dev May 2010

I've problems packaging the stargate (REST) contrib for HBase. The used JAX-RS
implementation jersey has so many yet "undebianized" dependencies, that I
won't be able to include this contrib anytime soon in the upcoming Debian
package.
This is only to let you know about my desperation.
But there's only the thing that jersey and it's dependencies on java.net
(jaxb, jsr311, txw, ...?) are insane in such an amount[1], that I dare to ask,
whether you could imagine using an alternative JAX-RS[2] implementation?
Chances are low, that you'd consider this only because of a distributions sane
policy to build everything from source, but who knows...?
And on the other hand, none of the alternative JAX-RS implementations are
packaged for Debian yet. So in any case it's a long way to get stargate into
Debian.

[1] source code archives are very well hidden, in different formats (jar, zip)
and strange directory layouts with or without build system files...
[2] http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/10/jaxrs-comparison

Thanks for sympathy.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Search Discussions

  • Stack at May 4, 2010 at 4:01 am
    Thanks for looking into this Thomas. If there are not currently
    JAX-RS implementations in Debian, its a bit of a problem. I just
    presumed the jersey stuff reasonable. What if we updated to a newer
    version? Or used less of it?

    St.Ack
[...]

  • Andrew Purtell at May 4, 2010 at 9:30 pm
    It's not possible to use less of Jersey.

    I'm all for changes that make sense, like switching JSON libraries due to licensing issues. However, a JAX-RS framework is like an NIO framework -- the service code may be structured similarly but there are substantial functional and semantic differences between them.

    We chose Jersey because it was the reference JAX-RS framework and something that would "just work". I would not stand in the way of a port to another framework but have no plans (or available time) to contemplate such a large undertaking at this time.

    - Andy
    Thanks for looking into this Thomas.   If there are not
    currently JAX-RS implementations in Debian, its a bit of
    a problem.  I just presumed the jersey stuff reasonable.
    What if we updated to a newer version?  Or used less of
    it?

    St.Ack
    I've problems packaging the stargate (REST) contrib
    for HBase. The used JAX-RS implementation jersey has
    so many yet "undebianized" dependencies, that I
    won't be able to include this contrib anytime soon in
    the upcoming Debian package.

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedMay 3, '10 at 7:22p