Hello everyone,

I am setting up Hadoop for the first time, so please bear with me while I ask all these beginner questions :)

I followed the instructions to create a hodrc, but looks like I cannot user env variables in this file:

error: bin/hod failed to start.
error: invalid 'java-home' specified in section hod (--hod.java-home): ${JAVA_HOME}
error: invalid 'batch-home' specified in section resource_manager (--resource_manager.batch-home): ${RM_HOME}

... despite the fact that I have " ${JAVA_HOME}" and "${RM_HOME}" correctly defined in my environment. When I replace these variables with full explicit paths, it works. I checked the permissions, and everything else looks fine.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Search Discussions

  • Mehmet Belgin at Feb 5, 2013 at 11:46 pm
    On a related note, env-vars is also being ignored:

    env-vars = HOD_PYTHON_HOME=/usr/local/packages/python/2.5.1/bin/python2.5

    And hod picks the system-default python and terminates with errors unless I manually export HOD_PYTHON_HOME.

    export HOD_PYTHON_HOME=`which python2.5`

    I am also having problems having hod use the cluster I created, but I assume those issues are also related.

    How can I make sure that "hodrc" contents are passed correctly into hod?

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    I am setting up Hadoop for the first time, so please bear with me while I ask all these beginner questions :)

    I followed the instructions to create a hodrc, but looks like I cannot user env variables in this file:

    error: bin/hod failed to start.
    error: invalid 'java-home' specified in section hod (--hod.java-home): ${JAVA_HOME}
    error: invalid 'batch-home' specified in section resource_manager (--resource_manager.batch-home): ${RM_HOME}

    ... despite the fact that I have " ${JAVA_HOME}" and "${RM_HOME}" correctly defined in my environment. When I replace these variables with full explicit paths, it works. I checked the permissions, and everything else looks fine.

    What am I missing here?

    Thanks!
  • Mehmet Belgin at Feb 6, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    Hello again,

    Considering that I have not received any replies, I was wondering whether this is not the correct list for "hod" questions? Please let me know if I should better direct this question to another list, a hod-specific one perhaps?

    Thank you!

[...]

  • Hemanth Yamijala at Feb 8, 2013 at 8:01 am
    Hi,

    Hadoop On Demand is no longer supported with recent releases of Hadoop.
    There is no separate user list for HOD related questions.

    Which version of Hadoop are you using right now ?

    Thanks
    hemanth

    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Mehmet Belgin
[...]

  • Mehmet Belgin at Feb 8, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Hello Hemanth,

    I am using hadoop 1.1.1 and the hod that is distributed with it. I was able to submit an allocation request and received a Cluster Id, however I am seeing the error "Failed to retrieve 'hdfs' service address."

    If you think this is due to the lack of hadoop support, then I will stop here, but I would really like to have hod on our clusters since there is significant demand for it from our researchers. I am hoping hod will not be abandoned in the near future, because it is a neat way to experiment with hadoop! I was assuming hod would be supported given that it is in the hadoop package :(

    Thanks for your reply!

    -Mehmet

[...]

grouphdfs-user @
categorieshadoop
postedFeb 5, '13 at 9:42p
activeFeb 8, '13 at 3:11p
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Mehmet Belgin: 4 posts Hemanth Yamijala: 1 post