Hi Hadoopers,

My production Hadoop 0.20.2 cluster has been running Pri. namenode and
Jobtracker together in the same box for long time. it's time to
separate them. I am trying to write up a procedure on this to make
sure that it won't cause any issues.

- Decrease TTL of DNS entry for value of mapred.job.tracker
- Prepare new name in DNS entry for value of mapred.job.tracker
- Change value of mapred.job.tracker (in mapred-site.xml) to new
server and propagate the new config to whole cluster and clients (
where Hadoop jobs are submitted from )
- Create directory defined in mapred.local.dir on new server.
- Make sure that new jobtracker server is not in slave or master file.
- run stop-mapred.sh on current jobtracker server
- run start-mapred.sh on new jobtracker server

Do I miss anything ?

Please suggest.

Patai

Search Discussions

  • Ted Dunning at Sep 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm
    Why are you changing the TTL on DNS if you aren't moving the name? If you
    are just changing the config to a new name, then caching won't matter.
    My production Hadoop 0.20.2 cluster has been running Pri. namenode and
    Jobtracker together in the same box for long time. it's time to
    separate them. I am trying to write up a procedure on this to make
    sure that it won't cause any issues.

    - Decrease TTL of DNS entry for value of mapred.job.tracker
    - Prepare new name in DNS entry for value of mapred.job.tracker
    - Change value of mapred.job.tracker (in mapred-site.xml) to new
    server and propagate the new config to whole cluster and clients (
    where Hadoop jobs are submitted from )
    - Create directory defined in mapred.local.dir on new server.
    - Make sure that new jobtracker server is not in slave or master file.
    - run stop-mapred.sh on current jobtracker server
    - run start-mapred.sh on new jobtracker server

    Do I miss anything ?

    Please suggest.

    Patai
  • Patai Sangbutsarakum at Sep 26, 2012 at 10:28 pm
    Thanks Ted, that's true.

[...]

grouphdfs-user @
categorieshadoop
postedSep 26, '12 at 8:47p