Hi All,

I need some help for my project. I plan to develop a Java program to
manipulate remote HDFS. The code cannot pass the compilation with
throwing some errs like "cannot find symbol FileSystem". I know that may
be because I do not set .jar file into class path. But the thing is I do
not know which jar file should I put in and where I could find that
file(s). Could anyone help? Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Bo

Search Discussions

  • Harsh J at May 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm
    Hello Bo,

    What version of Hadoop are you using?

    In case of 0.20.x, use the single hadoop-*-core.jar available under
    the root of the distribution's directory.
    In case of 0.21.x, you will need to use two separate jars (from
    common/ and hdfs/ folders of the distribution).

    --
    Harsh J
  • Bo Li at May 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm

    Thank you very much for your reply. I am using 0.21.x. I have already
    included those two but still the problem is there. Could you specify the
    name of those two jar files so that I can confirm I was not using the
    wrong files.

    Best Regards,
    Bo
    In case of 0.20.x, use the single hadoop-*-core.jar available under
    the root of the distribution's directory.
    In case of 0.21.x, you will need to use two separate jars (from
    common/ and hdfs/ folders of the distribution).

    I need some help for my project. I plan to develop a Java program to
    manipulate remote HDFS. The code cannot pass the compilation with throwing
    some errs like "cannot find symbol FileSystem". I know that may be because I
    do not set .jar file into class path. But the thing is I do not know which
    jar file should I put in and where I could find that file(s). Could anyone
    help? Thank you very much!

    Best Regards,
    Bo
  • Harsh J at May 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm
    I think they should be hadoop-common-0.21.0.jar (This has FileSystem
    in it) and hadoop-hdfs-0.21.0.jar (Actual HDFS impl. classes)

    (both ought to be available in the root of the distribution, scratch
    my earlier hint of within directories, those contain sources and
    binaries).
[...]

  • Bo Li at May 9, 2011 at 6:29 pm
    Thank you very much, Harsh!

    Bo
[...]