All of my data nodes have 16GB of memory. Would increasing my Java virtual
memory help in performance?

  • Stu24mail at Mar 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm
    Is anything else running on the datanodes? Datanodes themselves don't need too much memory.

    Take care,
    -stu
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Rita <rmorgan466@gmail.com>
    Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 07:24:26
    To: <hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>
    Subject: datanode memory requirement

    All of my data nodes have 16GB of memory. Would increasing my Java virtual
    memory help in performance?

  • Rita at Mar 10, 2011 at 12:32 am
    No, just a datanode. Nothing else.

    ------------------------------
    *From: * Rita <rmorgan466@gmail.com>
    *Date: *Wed, 9 Mar 2011 07:24:26 -0500
    *To: *<hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org>
    *ReplyTo: * hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org

    All of my data nodes have 16GB of memory. Would increasing my Java virtual
    memory help in performance?

  • Elton sky at Mar 10, 2011 at 2:19 am
    I don't think data node needs much memory, as Stu suggested. There will be
    requirement for memory when running a map reduce job. In that case, more
    memory is better for in memory sorting (on map) and in-memory copy (on
    reduce).

    Namenode needs memory to hold meta data though.
    Is anything else running on the datanodes? Datanodes themselves don't need
    too much memory.

    Take care,
    -stu
    ------------------------------
    All of my data nodes have 16GB of memory. Would increasing my Java virtual
    memory help in performance?

grouphdfs-user @
categorieshadoop
postedMar 9, '11 at 12:24p
activeMar 10, '11 at 2:19a
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

3 users in discussion

Rita: 2 posts Elton sky: 1 post Stu24mail: 1 post