Thanks in advance,

John

Search Discussions

  • Jinsong Hu at Sep 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm
    use linux heartbeat project and DRBD to build a backup namenode.

    Jimmy

    From: "John Hui" <john.m.hui@gmail.com>
    Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 2:33 PM
    To: <hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
    Subject: namenode crash - recovery model?
    Hi All,

    I am new to Hadoop. I have been reading and playing around with Hadoop,
    it
    seems like the namenode is a single point of failure. I read about the
    backup node which is basically a copy of the live namenode.

    So if the namenode were to crash, what is some of the recovery model that
    people have in place. Is there a way to configure hadoop to flip the the
    backup node and use that as the primary name node if the primary namenode
    goes down..

    Thanks in advance,

    John
  • Jeff Hammerbacher at Sep 28, 2010 at 9:54 am
    Hey John,

    See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1064 for the JIRA where high
    availability strategies for the NameNode are discussed.

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    I am new to Hadoop. I have been reading and playing around with Hadoop, it
    seems like the namenode is a single point of failure. I read about the
    backup node which is basically a copy of the live namenode.

    So if the namenode were to crash, what is some of the recovery model that
    people have in place. Is there a way to configure hadoop to flip the the
    backup node and use that as the primary name node if the primary namenode
    goes down..

    Thanks in advance,

    John

grouphdfs-dev @