I've got a Hadoop job that uses StringUtils.getTrimmedStringCollection. It
works when run on version 0.20.2, but now when I run it on a 0.20.203
cluster I get a No Such Method Exception for this call. When I go looking
through the 0.20.203 source I can't find it, so I assume it's been removed
but I don't see any documentation to this effect.

Has this call been removed? If so, is there something to take its place, or
should I just call String.trim() in a loop myself?

Search Discussions

  • Harsh J at Sep 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm
    I believe you've run into some odd versioning issues. I took a look at
    Apache Hadoop 0.20.2 release and I can't see this method.

    It originated from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2366
    contributed by Michele, which was put into the higher 0.21 version.
    0.20.203 is not something that'd be considered entirely 0.21+ yet IMO.
    204 and 205 have more backports in them, but this particular fix
    hasn't gone in yet.

    You can perhaps request a backport of this ticket for the next
    branch-0.20-security release (205/206) if you'd like to see it in
    that. It might need some patch changes though, and it'd improve your
    chances if you can post a backport too. Alternatively, you can look at
    that patch, and implement a custom simple utility if that's the only
    part of the larger fix you need.

    P.s. These methods were also improved recently in
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7300 by Todd.

    --
    Harsh J
  • W.P. McNeill at Sep 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm
[...]

  • Harsh J at Sep 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm
    Great, that's good to know!

    Nope, no other problem. Was probably just the fact that this isn't
    _yet_, into any of the 0.20 stable branches.
[...]

  • W.P. McNeill at Sep 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm
    Looking at my setup again, I was running 0.20.2 with some patches, so one of
    those patches probably picked up this method.
[...]

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedSep 6, '11 at 5:47p
activeSep 6, '11 at 6:30p