Hi all,

I am trying to install Hadoop (release 0.20.203) on a machine with CentOS.

When I try to start HDFS, I get the following error.

<machine-name>: Unrecognized option: -jvm
<machine-name>: Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Abhishek

Search Discussions

  • Hailong.yang1115 at Sep 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm
    Hi abhishek,

    Have you successfully installed java virtual machine like sun JDK before running Hadoop? Or maybe you forget to configure the environment variable JAVA_HOME? What is the output of the command 'java -version'?

    Regards

    Hailong

    * Hailong Yang, PhD. Candidate
    * Sino-German Joint Software Institute,
    * School of Computer Science&Engineering, Beihang University
    * Phone: (86-010)82315908
    * Email: hailong.yang1115@gmail.com
    * Address: G413, New Main Building in Beihang University,
    * No.37 XueYuan Road,HaiDian District,
    * Beijing,P.R.China,100191

    I am trying to install Hadoop (release 0.20.203) on a machine with CentOS.

    When I try to start HDFS, I get the following error.

    <machine-name>: Unrecognized option: -jvm
    <machine-name>: Could not create the Java virtual machine.

    Any idea what might be the problem?

    Thanks,
    Abhishek
  • Abhishek sharma at Sep 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm
    Hi Hailong,

    I have installed JDK and set JAVA_HOME correctly (as far as I know).

    Output of java -version is:
    java version "1.6.0_04"
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)

    I also have another version installed "1.6.0_27" but get same error with it.

    Abhishek

    On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 4:00 PM, hailong.yang1115