Hi guys,

We are currently in the process of writing a paper regarding hadoop and
we would like to reference any attempt to remove the single point of
failure of the Namenode. We have found in various presentations some
efforts (like dividing the namespace between more than one namenodes if
i remember correctly) but the search for a concrete paper on the issue
came to nothing.

Is anyone aware or has participated in such an effort?

Thanks,
George

--

---------------------------

George Kousiouris
Electrical and Computer Engineer
Division of Communications,
Electronics and Information Engineering
Tel: +30 210 772 2546
Mobile: +30 6939354121
Fax: +30 210 772 2569
Email: gkousiou@mail.ntua.gr
Site: http://users.ntua.gr/gkousiou/

National Technical University of Athens
9 Heroon Polytechniou str., 157 73 Zografou, Athens, Greece

Search Discussions

  • Nan Zhu at Aug 25, 2011 at 9:47 am
    Hope it helps

    http://www.springerlink.com/content/h17r882710314147/

    Best,

    Nan
[...]

    School of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering,229
    Shanghai Jiao Tong University
    800,Dongchuan Road,Shanghai,China
    E-Mail: zhunansjtu@gmail.com
  • George Kousiouris at Aug 25, 2011 at 9:56 am
    Hi,

    many thanks!!

    I also found this one, which has some related work also with other
    efforts, in case it is helpful for someone else:
    https://ritdml.rit.edu/bitstream/handle/1850/13321/ATalwalkarThesis1-2011.pdf?sequence=1

    BR,
    George
[...]

  • Alex Nelson at Aug 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm
    Hi George,

    UC Santa Cruz contributed a ;login: article describing replacing HDFS with Ceph. (I was one of the authors.) One of the key architectural advantages of Ceph over HDFS is that Ceph distributes its metadata service over multiple metadata servers.

    I hope that helps.

    --Alex

[...]

  • Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 at Aug 25, 2011 at 9:51 am
    Hi,

    Community started working on NameNode High availabily.
    you can refer : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1623

    regards,
    Uma

[...]

groupcommon-user @