We faced a problem of loading logging class when start the name node. It
seems that hadoop can not find commons-logging-*.jar

We have tried other commons-logging-1.0.4.jar and
commons-logging-api-1.0.4.jar. It does not work!

The following are error logs from starting console:

org/apache/commons/loggi
ng/LogFactory.getClassLoader(Ljava/lang/Class;)Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getClassLoader(LogFact
oryImpl.java:447)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.initDiagnostics(LogFac
toryImpl.java:476)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.<init>(LogFactoryImpl.
java:95)
at java.lang.J9VMInternals.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$2.run(LogFactory.java:531)
at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:202
)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.newFactory(LogFactory.java:517)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:316)

Thanks in advanced!
--
- Juwei

Search Discussions

  • Juwei Shi at Jul 20, 2011 at 8:57 am
    The problem is caused by conflict with another jar with
    org/apache/commons/logging/ path.

[...]

  • Steve Loughran at Jul 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

    We faced a problem of loading logging class when start the name node. It
    seems that hadoop can not find commons-logging-*.jar

    We have tried other commons-logging-1.0.4.jar and
    commons-logging-api-1.0.4.jar. It does not work!

    The following are error logs from starting console:
    I'd drop the -api file as it isn't needed, and as you say, avoid
    duplicate versions. Make sure that log4j is at the same point in the
    class hierarchy too (e.g in hadoop/lib)

    to debug commons logging, tell it to log to stderr. It's useful in
    emergencies

    -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.diagnostics.dest=STDERR
  • Madhu phatak at Jul 27, 2011 at 10:41 am
    Its the problem of multiple versions of same jar.
    We faced a problem of loading logging class when start the name node. It
    seems that hadoop can not find commons-logging-*.jar

    We have tried other commons-logging-1.0.4.jar and
    commons-logging-api-1.0.4.jar. It does not work!

    The following are error logs from starting console:
    I'd drop the -api file as it isn't needed, and as you say, avoid duplicate
    versions. Make sure that log4j is at the same point in the class hierarchy
    too (e.g in hadoop/lib)

    to debug commons logging, tell it to log to stderr. It's useful in
    emergencies

    -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.**diagnostics.dest=STDERR

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJul 20, '11 at 6:16a
activeJul 27, '11 at 10:41a