when I am trying to start a namenode in pseudo-mode

sudo /etc/init.d/hadoop-0.20-namenode start

I get a permission error

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20/logs/hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.log
(Permission denied)

However, it does create another log file in the same directory

ls /usr/lib/hadoop-0.20/logs

hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.out

I am using CDH3, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Mark

Search Discussions

  • Mark Kerzner at Jul 7, 2011 at 4:52 am
    I kind of found the problem. If I open the logs directory, I see that this
    log file is created by hdfs

    -rw-r--r-- 1 hdfs hdfs 1399 Jul 6 21:48
    hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.log

    whereas the rest of the logs are created by root, and they have no problem
    doing this.

    I can adjust permissions on the logs directory, but I would expect this
    automatics.
    when I am trying to start a namenode in pseudo-mode

    sudo /etc/init.d/hadoop-0.20-namenode start

    I get a permission error

    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/lib/hadoop-0.20/logs/hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.log (Permission denied)

    However, it does create another log file in the same directory

    ls /usr/lib/hadoop-0.20/logs

    hadoop-hadoop-namenode-myservername.out

    I am using CDH3, what am I doing wrong?

    Thank you,