if you search for "Hadoop" on Dice, you get under 400 hits. We all have no
doubt that the demand is greater. Does it mean that companies prefer to
train their personnel rather than search for hard-to-find resources? One
indication that this is true would be Cloudera's training being sold out :)
Another - Hadoop books being bestseller, which is true for Tom White's book
with 5,000 Amazon bestseller rank.

Your thoughts?

Thank you,
Mark

Search Discussions

  • Hadoopman at Apr 29, 2011 at 1:18 pm
    My guess is it's like back in the days when Linux was considered a 'bad'
    option for running a production system and people would freak out when
    they found out about it. It was so new and people were just learning
    what it's all about. Today it's very mainstream but it took people a
    while to figure out what to do with it.

    Hadoop is very much like Linux back then. Today people are still
    figuring out what to do with it and how to solve their big data
    problems. I think many people are training internally to figure it out
    aswell. That's what we did :-)

    Thanks

    if you search for "Hadoop" on Dice, you get under 400 hits. We all have no
    doubt that the demand is greater. Does it mean that companies prefer to
    train their personnel rather than search for hard-to-find resources? One
    indication that this is true would be Cloudera's training being sold out :)
    Another - Hadoop books being bestseller, which is true for Tom White's book
    with 5,000 Amazon bestseller rank.

    Your thoughts?

    Thank you,
    Mark
  • Mike Nute at Apr 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm
    This reminds me of the line in All the President's Men when Ben Bradlee goes "half the country never even heard the word 'Watergate'!"

    Sorry couldn't resist :-)

[...]

  • Mark Kerzner at Apr 29, 2011 at 2:10 pm
    In Dice terms, 99.5% have not even thought of needing a Hadoop engineer. Do
    I get your drift?
[...]

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedApr 29, '11 at 2:23a