Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone for guiding me everytime. I am able to setup hadoop cluster
of 10 nodes.
Now comes HBASE..!!!

I am new to all this...
My problem is I have huge data to analyze.
so shall I go for single node Hbase installation on all nodes or go for
distributed Hbase installation.??

How distributed installation is different from single node installaion ??
Now suppose if I have distributed Hbase...
and If I design some table on my master node.. and then store data on it..
say around 100M. How the data is going to be distributed.. Will HBASE do it
automatically or we have to write codes for getting it distributed ??
Is there any good tutorial that tells us more about HBase and how to work on
it ???

Thanks,
Praveenesh

Search Discussions

  • Gaurav garg at Apr 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm
    Praveenesh,

    I will recommend you to read the google Big Table paper(
    http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html) which is a foundation for the
    hbase.
    Terminology is little different though:

    Mapping of terms(not exhaustive):
    ***********************************
    Big Table Hbase
    ***********************************
    Master Server HMaster
    Tablet region
    Tablet server regionserver
    chubby zookeeper (It is apache implementation of distributed
    synchronization server)

    Hbase stores data on hadoop dfs. hbase is a client of hdfs. Hence hadoop
    will automatically distribute and replicate the data across your hadoop
    cluster.
    Hbase master and regionservers formats/transforms the data and relies on
    hadoop for storage and retrieval.

    Hbase cluster can run on a separate set of nodes or it can even share hadoop
    nodes.

    Once you have setup hdfs cluster, hbase cluster can be easily setup.

    Thanks
    Gaurav

[...]

  • Bennett Andrews at Apr 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm
    Setup a "distributed" HBase cluster.

    On each node that runs TaskTracker and Datanode, also run a HBase
    RegionServer.

    On the node that runs JobTracker and Namenode, run the HBase Master.

    There is a getting started guide here.
    http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html

    Check out the HBase user list for more.
    http://hbase.apache.org/mail-lists.html

[...]