I've been working from the 2nd Edition of Tom White's *Hadoop: The
Definitive Guide*, but that's still old API (0.20). Are there any books in
print that use the new API? Separating old-API vs. new-API examples that
you find on the internet can be tricky.

Search Discussions

  • Mark Kerzner at Apr 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm
    Well, I am writing "Hadoop in Practice," and I think it will be a good idea
    to use only the new API - are there any pointers to verify my code uses only
    that?

    Thank you,
    Mark
    I've been working from the 2nd Edition of Tom White's *Hadoop: The
    Definitive Guide*, but that's still old API (0.20). Are there any books in
    print that use the new API? Separating old-API vs. new-API examples that
    you find on the internet can be tricky.
  • Aaron Baff at Apr 6, 2011 at 9:01 pm
    I'll volunteer to proof read & test it ;)

    I've been meaning to get around to using the new API, just haven't had the time to learn it and convert all the existing MR jobs to it.

    --Aaron

    Well, I am writing "Hadoop in Practice," and I think it will be a good idea
    to use only the new API - are there any pointers to verify my code uses only
    that?

    Thank you,
    Mark
    I've been working from the 2nd Edition of Tom White's *Hadoop: The
    Definitive Guide*, but that's still old API (0.20). Are there any books in
    print that use the new API? Separating old-API vs. new-API examples that
    you find on the internet can be tricky.
  • Tsz Wo \(Nicholas\), Sze at Apr 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm
    Not sure if you already know: the MapReduce examples are using the new API. You
    may want to take a look.

    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/mapreduce/trunk/src/examples/org/apache/hadoop/examples/

    Regards,
    Nicholas

    I've been working from the 2nd Edition of Tom White's *Hadoop: The
    Definitive Guide*, but that's still old API (0.20). Are there any books in
    print that use the new API? Separating old-API vs. new-API examples that
    you find on the internet can be tricky.
  • W.P. McNeill at Apr 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm
    I have been looking at the example code that came with my install, which is
    in the new API. This is helpful, but it would also be good to have a
    comprehensive reference.
    Not sure if you already know: the MapReduce examples are using the new API.
    You
    may want to take a look.

    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/mapreduce/trunk/src/examples/org/apache/hadoop/examples/

    Regards,
    Nicholas

    I've been working from the 2nd Edition of Tom White's *Hadoop: The
    Definitive Guide*, but that's still old API (0.20). Are there any books in
    print that use the new API? Separating old-API vs. new-API examples that
    you find on the internet can be tricky.

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedApr 6, '11 at 8:32p