I have been wondering if I should use CDH (http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop/)
instead of the standard Hadoop distribution.

What do most people use? Is CDH free? do they provide the tars or does it
provide source code and I simply compile? Can I have some data nodes as CDH
and the rest as regular Hadoop?

I am asking this because so far I noticed a serious bug (IMO) in the
decommissioning process (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/201103.mbox/%3cAANLkTikPKGt5zw1QGLse+LPzUDP7Mom=Ty_mXfcuoPhq@mail.gmail.com%3e
)

  • Michael Segel at Mar 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm
    Rita,

    Short answer...

    Cloudera's release is free, and they do also offer a support contract if you want support from them.
    Cloudera has sources, but most use yum (redhat/centos) to download an already built release.

    Should you use it?
    Depends on what you want to do.

    If your goal is to get up and running with Hadoop and then focus on *using* Hadoop/HBase/Hive/Pig/etc... then it makes sense.

    If your goal is to do a deep dive in to Hadoop and get your hands dirty mucking around with the latest and greatest in trunk? Then no. You're better off building your own off the official Apache release.

    Many companies choose Cloudera's release for the following reasons:
    * Paid support is available.
    * Companies focus on using a tech not developing the tech, so Cloudera does the heavy lifting while Client Companies focus on  'USING' Hadoop.
    * Cloudera's release makes sure that the versions in the release work together. That is that when you down load CHD3B4, you get a version of Hadoop that will work with the included version of HBase, Hive, etc ...

    And no, its never a good idea to try and mix and match Hadoop from different environments and versions in a cluster.
    (I think it will barf on you.)

    Does that help?

    -Mike

    instead of the standard Hadoop distribution.

    What do most people use? Is CDH free? do they provide the tars or does it
    provide source code and I simply compile? Can I have some data nodes as CDH
    and the rest as regular Hadoop?

    I am asking this because so far I noticed a serious bug (IMO) in the
    decommissioning process (
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/201103.mbox/%3cAANLkTikPKGt5zw1QGLse+LPzUDP7Mom=Ty_mXfcuoPhq@mail.gmail.com%3e
    )

  • Rita at Mar 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm
    Mike,

    Thanks. This helps a lot.

    At our lab we have close to 60 servers which only run hdfs. I don't need
    mapreduce and other bells and whistles. We just use hdfs for storing dataset
    results ranging from 3gb to 90gb.

    So, what is the best practice for hdfs? should I always deploy one version
    before? I understand that Cloudera's version is heavily patched (similar to
    Redhat Linux kernel versus standard Linux kernel).

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Michael Segel
[...]

  • Michael Segel at Mar 23, 2011 at 3:33 pm
    Rita,

    It sounds like you're only using Hadoop and have no intentions to really get into the internals.

    I'm like most admins/developers/IT guys and I'm pretty lazy.
    I find it easier to set up the yum repository and then issue the yum install hadoop command.

    The thing about Cloudera is that they do back port patches so that while their release is 'heavily patched'.
    But they are usually in some sort of sync with the Apache release. Since you're only working with HDFS and its pretty stable, I'd say go with the Cloudera release.

    HTH

    -Mike

    I have been wondering if I should use CDH (
    http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop/)
    instead of the standard Hadoop distribution.

    What do most people use? Is CDH free? do they provide the tars or does it
    provide source code and I simply compile? Can I have some data nodes as CDH
    and the rest as regular Hadoop?

    I am asking this because so far I noticed a serious bug (IMO) in the
    decommissioning process (
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/201103.mbox/%3cAANLkTikPKGt5zw1QGLse+LPzUDP7Mom=Ty_mXfcuoPhq@mail.gmail.com%3e
    )

  • James Seigel at Mar 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm
    If you are using one of the supported platforms, then it is easy to get up and going fairly quickly as well.

    ...advice from another seigel/segel

    Cheers
    james.

    I have been wondering if I should use CDH (
    http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop/)
    instead of the standard Hadoop distribution.

    What do most people use? Is CDH free? do they provide the tars or does it
    provide source code and I simply compile? Can I have some data nodes as CDH
    and the rest as regular Hadoop?

    I am asking this because so far I noticed a serious bug (IMO) in the
    decommissioning process (
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-user/201103.mbox/%3cAANLkTikPKGt5zw1QGLse+LPzUDP7Mom=Ty_mXfcuoPhq@mail.gmail.com%3e
    )

  • Steve Loughran at Mar 24, 2011 at 10:34 am