I see there are various posts claiming hadoop is available through official debian mirrors (for debian squeeze, i.e. stable):
* http://www.debian-news.net/2010/07/17/apache-hadoop-in-debian-squeeze/
* http://blog.isabel-drost.de/index.php/archives/213/apache-hadoop-in-debian-squeeze

However, it seems this is not (no longer?) the case:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=hadoop <- the packages are only in unstable?
(I can easily verify this, my debian squeeze box does not find the packages, even after updating)

What happened? I couldn't find any info on whether the packages were removed from squeeze.

I also tried using the Cloudera repository.
Note that the official installation document does not list instructions for Debian, only Ubuntu, Suse and RH.
( see https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/CDH3+Installation)
In fact it seems Debian is not supported at all:
https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Before+You+Install+CDH3+on+a+Cluster

Just for the heck of it, I tried following the Ubuntu instructions, which failed as well.
(the cloudera repository does not have squeeze packages).
FWIW:

# lsb_release -c
Codename: squeeze
# echo 'deb http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list
# echo 'deb-src http://archive.cloudera.com/debian squeeze-cdh3 contrib' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudera.list
# curl -s http://archive.cloudera.com/debian/archive.key | apt-key add -
OK
# aptitude update
(...)
Hit http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze Release
Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib Sources
404 Not Found
Err http://archive.cloudera.com squeeze-cdh3/contrib i386 Packages
404 Not Found
Get:6 http://ftp.belnet.be squeeze-updates Release [41.8 kB]
(...)
Fetched 150 kB in 5s (28.7 kB/s)

# aptitude search hadoop
#

So, what's the best way to install Hadoop on Debian Squeeze?

Thanks,
Dieter

Search Discussions

  • Isabel Drost at Mar 17, 2011 at 5:41 pm

    On Tue, 15 Mar 11 Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
    What happened? I couldn't find any info on whether the packages were
    removed from squeeze.
    http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hadoop.html says:

    "The current maintainer is looking for someone who can help with the
    maintenance of this package. If you are interested in this package,
    please consider helping out."

    I am sure that Thomas Koch who might still hang around on this list is
    happy to add more context.

    So, what's the best way to install Hadoop on Debian Squeeze?
    You can either go for the Apache distribution, which works just fine
    but does not come as a deb package. Or you can decide to head over to
    Debian and help with the final packaging efforts.

    Isabel
  • Thomas Koch at Mar 17, 2011 at 6:33 pm

    Dieter Plaetinck:
    Hi,
[...]

    Hi Dieter,

    thank you for your interest in "official" Debian packages. I'm the maintainer
    of HBase, Hadoop and ZooKeeper in Debian. I started these packaging efforts as
    part of my last employment which I did quit last month. I'm back to university
    for the next month and don't know yet, whether I'll want to continue working
    with Hadoop or do something else.
    Therefor the packages are unfortunately highly neglected since some months and
    I wanted to discus their future after my last exam next saturday.

    Currently my advise is to use the Debian packages from cloudera.

    Best regards,

    Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
  • Dieter Plaetinck at Mar 21, 2011 at 9:03 am