Sorry for this totally newbie question.

I'm just wondering if HBase uses HDFS space.

I read it in the reference book that HBase table size increases
automatically as the table entry increases.
So I am guessing that HBase manages a separate storage other than HDFS. (But
then why does HBase operate on top of HDFS? Truly confusing...)

If HBase doesn't use HDFS space, I can designate only a single machine to be
a HDFS slave, and assign bunch of other machines to be HBase slaves.
But if HBase does use HDFS space, I'd have balance the ratio of HDFS and
HBase within my machines.

Could anyone give me a clear heads up?

Ed

groupcommon-user @