Hello Everyone,

I'm using " Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()" to see current memory available before and after creation of an object, but this doesn't seem to work well with Hadoop?

Why? and is there another alternative?

Thank you,

Maha

Search Discussions

  • Maha at Feb 24, 2011 at 3:59 am
    Based on the Java function documentation, it gives approximately the available memory, so I need to tweak it with other functions.
    So it's a Java issue not Hadoop.

    Thanks anyways,
    Maha
    I'm using " Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()" to see current memory available before and after creation of an object, but this doesn't seem to work well with Hadoop?

    Why? and is there another alternative?

    Thank you,

    Maha
  • Yang Xiaoliang at Feb 24, 2011 at 6:12 am
    I had also encuntered the smae problem a few days ago.

    any one has another method?

    Based on the Java function documentation, it gives approximately the
    available memory, so I need to tweak it with other functions.
    So it's a Java issue not Hadoop.

    Thanks anyways,
    Maha
    I'm using " Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()" to see current memory
    available before and after creation of an object, but this doesn't seem to
    work well with Hadoop?
    Why? and is there another alternative?

    Thank you,

    Maha
  • Maha at Feb 24, 2011 at 6:46 pm
    Hi Yang,

    The problem could be solved using the following link: http://www.roseindia.net/java/java-get-example/get-memory-usage.shtml
    You need to use other memory managers like the Garbage collector and its finalize method to measure memory accurately.

    Good Luck,
    Maha
    I had also encuntered the smae problem a few days ago.

    any one has another method?

    Based on the Java function documentation, it gives approximately the
    available memory, so I need to tweak it with other functions.
    So it's a Java issue not Hadoop.

    Thanks anyways,
    Maha
    I'm using " Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()" to see current memory
    available before and after creation of an object, but this doesn't seem to
    work well with Hadoop?
    Why? and is there another alternative?

    Thank you,

    Maha
  • Yang Xiaoliang at Feb 25, 2011 at 2:58 am
    Thanks a lot!

    Yang Xiaoliang

[...]

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop