FAQ
Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking solutions...

--
With Regards,
Karthik

Search Discussions

  • Madhu phatak at Feb 17, 2011 at 6:30 am
    Hadoop is not suited for real time applications
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Karthik Kumar wrote:

    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking solutions...

    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Ted Dunning at Feb 17, 2011 at 7:49 am
    Unless you go beyond the current standard semantics, this is true.

    See here: http://code.google.com/p/hop/ and
    http://labs.yahoo.com/node/476for alternatives.
    On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM, madhu phatak wrote:

    Hadoop is not suited for real time applications

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com
    wrote:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...
    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Jason Rutherglen at Feb 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm
    Ted, thanks for the links, the yahoo.com one doesn't seem to exist?
    On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
    Unless you go beyond the current standard semantics, this is true.

    See here: http://code.google.com/p/hop/  and
    http://labs.yahoo.com/node/476for alternatives.
    On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM, madhu phatak wrote:

    Hadoop is not suited for real time applications

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com
    wrote:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...
    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Ted Dunning at Feb 17, 2011 at 4:30 pm
    Remove the for at the end that got sucked in by the email editor.
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Jason Rutherglen wrote:

    Ted, thanks for the links, the yahoo.com one doesn't seem to exist?
    On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
    Unless you go beyond the current standard semantics, this is true.

    See here: http://code.google.com/p/hop/ and
    http://labs.yahoo.com/node/476for alternatives.
    On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM, madhu phatak wrote:

    Hadoop is not suited for real time applications

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Karthik Kumar <
    karthik84kumar@gmail.com
    wrote:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...
    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Niels Basjes at Feb 17, 2011 at 8:40 am

    2011/2/17 Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com>:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking solutions...
    Hadoop consists of several components.
    Components like HDFS and HBase are quite suitable for "interactive"
    solutions (as in: I usually get an answer within 0.x seconds).
    If you really need "realtime" (as in: I want a guarantee that I have
    an answer within 0.x seconds) the answer is: No, HDFS/HBase cannot
    guarantee that.
    Other components like MapReduce (and Hive which run on top of
    MapReduce) are purely batch oriented.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Niels Basjes
  • Karthik Kumar at Feb 17, 2011 at 11:56 am
    Hi,

    Thanks for the clarification.
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Niels Basjes wrote:

    2011/2/17 Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com>:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...

    Hadoop consists of several components.
    Components like HDFS and HBase are quite suitable for "interactive"
    solutions (as in: I usually get an answer within 0.x seconds).
    If you really need "realtime" (as in: I want a guarantee that I have
    an answer within 0.x seconds) the answer is: No, HDFS/HBase cannot
    guarantee that.
    Other components like MapReduce (and Hive which run on top of
    MapReduce) are purely batch oriented.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Niels Basjes


    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Michael Segel at Feb 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm
    Uhm...

    'Realtime' is relative.

    Facebook uses HBase for e-mail, right? Now isn't that a 'realtime' application?
    ;-)

    If you're talking about realtime as in like a controller? Or a systems of record for a stock exchange? That wouldn't be a good fit.

    Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:26:04 +0530
    Subject: Re: Hadoop in Real time applications
    From: karthik84kumar@gmail.com
    To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org

    Hi,

    Thanks for the clarification.
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Niels Basjes wrote:

    2011/2/17 Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com>:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...

    Hadoop consists of several components.
    Components like HDFS and HBase are quite suitable for "interactive"
    solutions (as in: I usually get an answer within 0.x seconds).
    If you really need "realtime" (as in: I want a guarantee that I have
    an answer within 0.x seconds) the answer is: No, HDFS/HBase cannot
    guarantee that.
    Other components like MapReduce (and Hive which run on top of
    MapReduce) are purely batch oriented.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Niels Basjes


    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Konstantin Boudnik at Feb 17, 2011 at 5:53 pm
    'cause email is a soft real-time system.
    A bank application would be a hard real-time system.

    All the difference is in guarantees.
    --
    Take care,
    Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 05:22, Michael Segel wrote:

    Uhm...

    'Realtime' is relative.

    Facebook uses HBase for e-mail, right? Now isn't that a 'realtime' application?
    ;-)

    If you're talking about realtime as in like a controller? Or a systems of record for a stock exchange? That wouldn't be a good fit.

    Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:26:04 +0530
    Subject: Re: Hadoop in Real time applications
    From: karthik84kumar@gmail.com
    To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org

    Hi,

    Thanks for the clarification.
    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Niels Basjes wrote:

    2011/2/17 Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com>:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...

    Hadoop consists of several components.
    Components like HDFS and HBase are quite suitable for "interactive"
    solutions (as in: I usually get an answer within 0.x seconds).
    If you really need "realtime" (as in: I want a guarantee that I have
    an answer within 0.x seconds) the answer is: No, HDFS/HBase cannot
    guarantee that.
    Other components like MapReduce (and Hive which run on top of
    MapReduce) are purely batch oriented.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Niels Basjes


    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik
  • Adarsh Sharma at Feb 18, 2011 at 3:53 am
    I think Facebook, Uses Hadoop, Casandra for their Analytics Purposes.


    Thanks, Adarsh



    Michael Segel wrote:
    Uhm...

    'Realtime' is relative.

    Facebook uses HBase for e-mail, right? Now isn't that a 'realtime' application?
    ;-)

    If you're talking about realtime as in like a controller? Or a systems of record for a stock exchange? That wouldn't be a good fit.


    Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:26:04 +0530
    Subject: Re: Hadoop in Real time applications
    From: karthik84kumar@gmail.com
    To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org

    Hi,

    Thanks for the clarification.

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Niels Basjes wrote:

    2011/2/17 Karthik Kumar <karthik84kumar@gmail.com>:
    Can Hadoop be used for Real time Applications such as banking
    solutions...

    Hadoop consists of several components.
    Components like HDFS and HBase are quite suitable for "interactive"
    solutions (as in: I usually get an answer within 0.x seconds).
    If you really need "realtime" (as in: I want a guarantee that I have
    an answer within 0.x seconds) the answer is: No, HDFS/HBase cannot
    guarantee that.
    Other components like MapReduce (and Hive which run on top of
    MapReduce) are purely batch oriented.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Niels Basjes
    --
    With Regards,
    Karthik

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedFeb 17, '11 at 4:18a
activeFeb 18, '11 at 3:53a
posts10
users8
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase