I installed the Apache distribution <http://hadoop.apache.org/> of Hadoop on
my laptop and set it up to run in local mode. It's working for me, but I
can't find the hadoop-streaming.jar file. It is nowhere under the Hadoop
home directory. The root of the Hadoop home directory contains the
following JARs:

hadoop-0.20.2-ant.jar hadoop-0.20.2-examples.jar hadoop-0.20.2-tools.jar
hadoop-0.20.2-core.jar hadoop-0.20.2-test.jar

The documentation makes it appear that streaming is part of the default
install. I don't see anything that says I have to perform an extra step to
get it installed.

How do I get streaming installed on my laptop?

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Ken Goodhope at Jan 1, 2011 at 8:05 pm
    It is one of the contrib modules. If you look in the src dir you will see a
    contrib dir containing all the contrib modules.
    my laptop and set it up to run in local mode. It's working for me, but I
    can't find the hadoop-streaming.jar file. It is nowhere under the Hadoop
    home directory. The root of the Hadoop home directory contains the
    following JARs:

    hadoop-0.20.2-ant.jar hadoop-0.20.2-examples.jar hadoop-0.20.2-tools.jar
    hadoop-0.20.2-core.jar hadoop-0.20.2-test.jar

    The documentation makes it appear that streaming is part of the default
    install. I don't see anything that says I have to perform an extra step to
    get it installed.

    How do I get streaming installed on my laptop?

    Thanks.
  • W.P. McNeill at Jan 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm
    Found it under /opt/hadoop/contrib/streaming. I am now able to run Hadoop
    streaming jobs on my laptop.

    By the way, here is the documentation I found confusing:

    http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.15.2/streaming.html#Hadoop+Streaming

    This seems to apply to my install, but says that the streaming JAR should be
    in the home directory with the other JARs instead of under contrib.

    It is one of the contrib modules. If you look in the src dir you will see a
    contrib dir containing all the contrib modules.
    my laptop and set it up to run in local mode. It's working for me, but I
    can't find the hadoop-streaming.jar file. It is nowhere under the Hadoop
    home directory. The root of the Hadoop home directory contains the
    following JARs:

    hadoop-0.20.2-ant.jar hadoop-0.20.2-examples.jar hadoop-0.20.2-tools.jar
    hadoop-0.20.2-core.jar hadoop-0.20.2-test.jar

    The documentation makes it appear that streaming is part of the default
    install. I don't see anything that says I have to perform an extra step to
    get it installed.

    How do I get streaming installed on my laptop?

    Thanks.
  • Zhenhua Guo at Jan 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm
    The doc you mentioned is for Hadoop 0.15.2. But you seem to use
    0.20.2. Probably you should read Hadoop docs for your installed
    version.

    Gerald
[...]

  • W.P. McNeill at Jan 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm
    I went to the top Google hit for "Hadoop streaming" and didn't notice that
    this was the 0.15.2 documentation instead of the one that matches my
    version.

    However, the 0.20.2 documentation has the same error:
    http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/streaming.html#Hadoop+Streaming
    .

    I verified that this is also the case with the files installed locally in my
    /opt/local/hadoop-0.20.2/docs folder.

    Is there a place I should file a documentation bug?

    On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Ken Goodhope <kengoodhope@gmail.com
[...]

  • Harsh J at Jan 1, 2011 at 7:35 pm
    Hello,