I am running a hadoop cluster on Debian 5. It has gmond 2.5.7 running
and I have a running ganglia setup running on top of it. I configured
hadoop-metrics.properties as described in the wiki and used the
multicast IP address as in gmond.conf. Everything got restarted since.
Still, I don't get hadoop metrics.

Before I dig deeper: Is gmond 2.5.7 supported by the GangliaContext at
all?

Thanks,
Henning

Search Discussions

  • Henning Blohm at Nov 26, 2010 at 10:21 am
    To answer my own question:

    Yes, it works - in principle. But some metrics end up in broken XML
    answers from gmond. E.g. when "telnet <host> 8649" I get stuff like
    this:

    <METRIC NAME="dfs.datanode.readBlockOp_num_ops��a" VAL="6844331"
    TYPE="int322" UNITS="KB" TN="6" TMAX="60" DMAX="0" SLOPE="both"
    SOURCE="gmetric"/>

    Ganglia cannot parse it and ignores the whole data set from then on.

    It only starts working when trimming the metrics names to a length < 32
    (at least then it worked). Seems there is some limitation in these aged
    gmond versions.

    Henning

    I am running a hadoop cluster on Debian 5. It has gmond 2.5.7
    running and I have a running ganglia setup running on top of it. I
    configured hadoop-metrics.properties as described in the wiki and used
    the multicast IP address as in gmond.conf. Everything got restarted
    since. Still, I don't get hadoop metrics.

    Before I dig deeper: Is gmond 2.5.7 supported by the GangliaContext
    at all?

    Thanks,
    Henning

groupcommon-user @