I'm trying to use some custom Key classes, that I created an abstract empty base class. I thought if I did it that way, I could specify the base class as the Key in the OutputCollector. I then implemented the compareTo() function on both child classes to be aware of each other and handle the comparisons correctly.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way :( It seems that the MapOutputBuffer.collect() does a check based on the getClass(), which precludes using any kind of parent/child class mixture as the Key. Anyone have any suggestions besides making one large custom Key class that distinguishes between the two 'types' based on an additional field?

Aaron Baff | Developer | Telescope, Inc.
email: aaron.baff@telescope.tv | office: 424 270 2913 | www.telescope.tv

The information contained in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual and may not necessarily reflect the views of Telescope Inc. or its associated companies.

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedSep 14, '10 at 10:46p
activeSep 14, '10 at 10:46p