In current hadoop documentation, it is "hadoop balancer [-threshold <threshold>]" to start a balancer and to stop the balancer press ctrl-c.

But in some other places (YDN and older hadoop version documentation), call "start-balancer.sh" to start it and call "stop-balancer.sh" to stop it. And I guess start-balancer.sh can also take an optional argument "[-threshold <threshold>]", right?

Which one is recommended for hadoop 0.20 (I am using CDH3 hadoop-0.20.2+228)?

Thanks,

Michael

Search Discussions

  • Ted Yu at Aug 24, 2010 at 7:20 pm
    start-balancer.sh calls 'start balancer'
    They have same effect.
    In current hadoop documentation, it is "hadoop balancer [-threshold
    <threshold>]" to start a balancer and to stop the balancer press ctrl-c.

    But in some other places (YDN and older hadoop version documentation), call
    "start-balancer.sh" to start it and call "stop-balancer.sh" to stop it. And
    I guess start-balancer.sh can also take an optional argument "[-threshold
    <threshold>]", right?

    Which one is recommended for hadoop 0.20 (I am using CDH3
    hadoop-0.20.2+228)?

    Thanks,

    Michael

  • Jiang licht at Aug 24, 2010 at 7:38 pm
    Thanks, Ted. Just check the scripts. Start-balancer.sh calls hadoop-daemon.sh to start balancer, which ofcoz actually calls hadoop to do its job.

    Thanks,

    Michael

    start-balancer.sh calls 'start balancer'
    They have same effect.
    In current hadoop documentation, it is "hadoop balancer [-threshold
    <threshold>]" to start a balancer and to stop the balancer press ctrl-c.

    But in some other places (YDN and older hadoop version documentation), call
    "start-balancer.sh" to start it and call "stop-balancer.sh" to stop it. And
    I guess start-balancer.sh can also take an optional argument "[-threshold
    <threshold>]", right?

    Which one is recommended for hadoop 0.20 (I am using CDH3
    hadoop-0.20.2+228)?

    Thanks,

    Michael

  • Jiang licht at Aug 24, 2010 at 9:22 pm
    Just run the balancer and know that it logs progress in its own log file.

    Thanks,

    Michael

    start-balancer.sh calls 'start balancer'
    They have same effect.
    In current hadoop documentation, it is "hadoop balancer [-threshold
    <threshold>]" to start a balancer and to stop the balancer press ctrl-c.

    But in some other places (YDN and older hadoop version documentation), call
    "start-balancer.sh" to start it and call "stop-balancer.sh" to stop it. And
    I guess start-balancer.sh can also take an optional argument "[-threshold
    <threshold>]", right?

    Which one is recommended for hadoop 0.20 (I am using CDH3
    hadoop-0.20.2+228)?

    Thanks,

    Michael

groupcommon-user @