I am working with complex Hive queries and moderate amounts of data. I am
running into a problem where my JDBC connection is timing out before the
Hive answer is returned. The timeout seems to occur at about 3 minutes, but
the query takes at least 5. I'm running Hadoop 0.20.1, Hive 0.4.0, and I'd
like to stick with these versions. Is there a way to increase the
connection timeout?

I am setup using Hive and plain text files for inputs. I'm getting the JDBC
running using "hive --service hiveserver", which enables the JDBC/Thrift
interface. The actual exception is a SQLException caused by a Thrift
exception where the "Connection timed out".

I have already tried setting the SQL statement.setQueryTimeout(), which seem
to have no effect. Maybe there's a setting to increase the Thrift timeout,
but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?

  • Sonal Goyal at Jun 18, 2010 at 2:49 am
    See if this works:

    DriverManger.setLoginTimeout(...);

    Thanks and Regards,
    Sonal