Please help!!!

I just downloaded and installed Hadoop-0.20.2 in Ubuntu following the
instructions in
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/quickstart.html.

I did NOT get any errors during the installation, however when I try to run
the example programs I get the following error in the namenode.log

INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: Stopping server on 9000

ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.serve.namenode.NameNode:

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.InconsistentFSStateException:

Directory /tmp/hadoop-root/dfs/name is in an inconsistent state: storage
directory DOES NOT exist or is NOT accesible

at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead

(FSImage.java:290) ... 87,311,292,201,965.

then it shutsdown

leaving the examples in a HANGING state.

Where do I create the tmp directories, how many of them, and what are their
names

Thank you

Michael Robinson

Search Discussions

  • Michael Robinson at May 12, 2010 at 11:00 am
[...]

  • Eric Sammer at May 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm
    Normally this is due to the machine having been rebooted and /tmp
    being cleared out. You do not want to leave the Hadoop name node or
    data node storage in /tmp for this reason. Make sure you properly
    configure dfs.name.dir and dfs.data.dir to point to directories
    outside of /tmp and other directories that may be cleared on boot.

    The quick setup guide is really just to help you start experimenting
    with Hadoop. For setting up a cluster for any real use, you'll want to
    follow the next guide - Cluster Setup -
    http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/cluster_setup.html

    On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Michael Robinson

    --
    Eric Sammer
    phone: +1-917-287-2675

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedMay 12, '10 at 10:59a
activeMay 12, '10 at 4:18p
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Michael Robinson: 2 posts Eric Sammer: 1 post