Hi, I am new to hadoop. I am planning to do matrix multiplication(of order
millions) using hadoop.

I have a few queries regarding the above.

i) Will using hadoop be a fix for this or should I try some other
approaches?
ii) I will be using it in NFS. Will using hadoop still be a good option?

If I can use hadoop for this problem, could you plz send links to configure
hadoop-site.xml file for a nfs system.

P.S. I tried a few setup instructions via search, but everything seems to
give "Unable to connect to ...." error.

  • Zjffdu at Nov 13, 2009 at 2:40 pm
    See my comments

    Hi, I am new to hadoop. I am planning to do matrix multiplication(of order
    millions) using hadoop.

    I have a few queries regarding the above.

    i) Will using hadoop be a fix for this or should I try some other
    approaches?

    --- Hama maybe such a tool that fit for your requirement,
    http://incubator.apache.org/hama/

    ii) I will be using it in NFS. Will using hadoop still be a good option?
    --- If you want to use NFS, I guess you have to provide your own
    InputFormat. So you'd better put your data into hdfs, it will make your work
    easy and improve your program's performance

    If I can use hadoop for this problem, could you plz send links to configure
    hadoop-site.xml file for a nfs system.

    P.S. I tried a few setup instructions via search, but everything seems to
    give "Unable to connect to ...." error.

  • Brian Bockelman at Nov 13, 2009 at 5:07 pm
    Hi,

    Assuming you're doing math...
    What you want is PETSc for sparse matrices: http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/
    If you're doing dense matrices, probable scalapack: http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/

    You benefit from working with someone who has a background in
    numerical analysis.

    Brian
[...]

  • Otis Gospodnetic at Nov 14, 2009 at 3:11 am
    I think another thing to look at is Mahout - http://lucene.apache.org/mahout

    See http://mahout.markmail.org/search/matrix+multiplication

    Otis
    --
    Sematext is hiring -- http://sematext.com/about/jobs.html?mls
    Lucene, Solr, Nutch, Katta, Hadoop, HBase, UIMA, NLP, NER, IR

    Hi, I am new to hadoop. I am planning to do matrix multiplication(of order
    millions) using hadoop.

    I have a few queries regarding the above.

    i) Will using hadoop be a fix for this or should I try some other
    approaches?

    --- Hama maybe such a tool that fit for your requirement,
    http://incubator.apache.org/hama/

    ii) I will be using it in NFS. Will using hadoop still be a good option?
    --- If you want to use NFS, I guess you have to provide your own
    InputFormat. So you'd better put your data into hdfs, it will make your work
    easy and improve your program's performance

    If I can use hadoop for this problem, could you plz send links to configure
    hadoop-site.xml file for a nfs system.

    P.S. I tried a few setup instructions via search, but everything seems to
    give "Unable to connect to ...." error.

    http://old.nabble.com/Using-hadoop-for-Matrix-Multiplication-in-NFS--tp26332
    382p26332382.html
  • Allen Wittenauer at Nov 13, 2009 at 3:04 pm

    ii) I will be using it in NFS. Will using hadoop still be a good option?
    If you are using NFS, then no.

    You should be looking at something in the more traditional HPC space: Sun
    Grid Engine, Torque/Maui, etc.
  • Martin Mituzas at Nov 24, 2009 at 7:18 am
    ii) I once run the mapred program DistCp to copy data from NFS into HDFS. I
    mount the file system directory to each node. Thus it can be connected.

    Gimick wrote:
    Hi, I am new to hadoop. I am planning to do matrix multiplication(of
    order millions) using hadoop.

    I have a few queries regarding the above.

    i) Will using hadoop be a fix for this or should I try some other
    approaches?
    ii) I will be using it in NFS. Will using hadoop still be a good option?

    If I can use hadoop for this problem, could you plz send links to
    configure hadoop-site.xml file for a nfs system.

    P.S. I tried a few setup instructions via search, but everything seems to
    give "Unable to connect to ...." error.
  • Edward J. Yoon at Nov 25, 2009 at 6:31 pm
    Just FYI, Hadoop and M/R is a distributed computing system. So, there
    is a problem of locality and location of sub-matrix blocks. Moreover,
    M/R iteration method is really slow.

    To perform the matrix multiplication (and also graph algorithm) on
    Hadoop, Apache Hama team is considering a BSP (bulk synchronous
    parallel) model using Hadoop RPC instead of M/R.
    Hi, I am new to hadoop.  I am planning to do matrix multiplication(of order
    millions) using hadoop.

    I have a few queries regarding the above.

    i) Will using hadoop be a fix for this or should I try some other
    approaches?
    ii) I will be using it in NFS.  Will using hadoop still be a good option?

    If I can use hadoop for this problem, could you plz send links to configure
    hadoop-site.xml file for a nfs system.

    P.S. I tried a few setup instructions via search, but everything seems to
    give "Unable to connect to ...." error.

    edwardyoon@apache.org
    http://blog.udanax.org
  • Tsz Wo \(Nicholas\), Sze at Nov 25, 2009 at 7:20 pm
    Hi Gimich,

    Could you describe your matrix multiplication problem in more details? Are the matrices sparse or dense? How big is the on-disk-size of a matrix?

    Thanks.
    Nicholas Sze