I am having issues having multiple values in my value field.My desired
result is
<key>,<float,int> or even <key>,<float,float>.

It seems easy in Python where I can pass a tuple as value.What is the best
way to do this in Java.
I have tried ArrayWritable but it looks like I need to write my own class
like IntArrayWritable.

Thanks,
Akshaya

Search Discussions

  • Jason Venner at Oct 6, 2009 at 6:03 am
    You can always pass them as comma delimited strings, which is what you are
    already doing with your python streaming code, and then use Text as your
    value.

    On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM, akshaya iyengar
    I am having issues having multiple values in my value field.My desired
    result is
    <key>,<float,int> or even <key>,<float,float>.

    It seems easy in Python where I can pass a tuple as value.What is the best
    way to do this in Java.
    I have tried ArrayWritable but it looks like I need to write my own class
    like IntArrayWritable.

    Thanks,
    Akshaya

  • Amogh Vasekar at Oct 6, 2009 at 7:55 am
    You can always pass them as comma delimited strings
    Which would be pretty expensive per <k,v> right? Would avro be looking into solving such problems?

    Amogh

    You can always pass them as comma delimited strings, which is what you are
    already doing with your python streaming code, and then use Text as your
    value.

    On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM, akshaya iyengar
    I am having issues having multiple values in my value field.My desired
    result is
    <key>,<float,int> or even <key>,<float,float>.

    It seems easy in Python where I can pass a tuple as value.What is the best
    way to do this in Java.
    I have tried ArrayWritable but it looks like I need to write my own class
    like IntArrayWritable.

    Thanks,
    Akshaya

  • Tom Chen at Oct 6, 2009 at 4:28 pm
    Hi Akshaya,

    Take a look at the yahoo hadoop tutorial for custom data types.

    http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module5.html#types

    It's actually quite easy to create your own types and stream them. You can
    use the

    void readFields(DataInput in);
    void write(DataOutput out);

    methods to initialize your objects.

    Tom

[...]

  • Akshaya iyengar at Oct 7, 2009 at 1:00 am
    Thanks Tom. The link really was helpful. the CSVs were getting nasty to
    handle.

[...]

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedOct 6, '09 at 5:55a