In setting up my cluster and brought a few machines up and down. I did
have some data in which I moved to Trash. Now that data is not 100%
available, which is fine, because I didn't want it.
But now I'm stuck in "Safe Mode", because it cannot find the data. I
cannot purge the Trash because it's in read-only due to Safe Mode.

Safe mode is ON.
The ratio of reported blocks 0.9931 has not reached the threshold 0.9990.
Safe mode will be turned off automatically.
459 files and directories, 583 blocks = 1042 total. Heap Size is
7.8 MB / 992.31 MB (0%)

I want to just want format the entire HDFS filesystem. I have nothing
I need in there. How can I do this?

Phil

Search Discussions

  • Amandeep Khurana at Aug 5, 2009 at 8:05 am
    Two alternatives:

    1. Do bin/hadoop namenode -format. That'll format the metadata and you can
    start afresh.

    2. If that doesnt work, manually go and delete everything that resides in
    the directories to which you've pointed your Namenode and Datanodes to store
    their stuff in.

    In setting up my cluster and brought a few machines up and down. I did
    have some data in which I moved to Trash. Now that data is not 100%
    available, which is fine, because I didn't want it.
    But now I'm stuck in "Safe Mode", because it cannot find the data. I
    cannot purge the Trash because it's in read-only due to Safe Mode.

    Safe mode is ON.
    The ratio of reported blocks 0.9931 has not reached the threshold 0.9990.
    Safe mode will be turned off automatically.
    459 files and directories, 583 blocks = 1042 total. Heap Size is
    7.8 MB / 992.31 MB (0%)

    I want to just want format the entire HDFS filesystem. I have nothing
    I need in there. How can I do this?

    Phil
  • Aaron Kimball at Aug 5, 2009 at 5:38 pm
    For future reference,
    $ bin/hadoop dfsadmin safemode -leave
    will also just cause HDFS to exit safemode forcibly.

    - Aaron
[...]

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedAug 5, '09 at 7:32a