hello everyone,

I have added 7 nodes to my 3 node cluster. I followed the following steps to
do this

1. added the node's ip to conf/slaves at master
2. ran bin/start-balance.sh at each node

As i loaded the data when the size of the cluster was three which is now
TEN. Can i do anything to redistribute the data among all the nodes?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Asif.

Search Discussions

  • Alex Loddengaard at Jun 24, 2009 at 10:51 pm
    Hi,

    Running the rebalancer script (by the way, you only need to run it once)
    redistributes all of your data for you. That is, after you've run the
    rebalancer, your data should be stored evenly among your 10 nodes.

    Alex
    I have added 7 nodes to my 3 node cluster. I followed the following steps
    do this

    1. added the node's ip to conf/slaves at master
    2. ran bin/start-balance.sh at each node

    As i loaded the data when the size of the cluster was three which is now
    TEN. Can i do anything to redistribute the data among all the nodes?

    Any ideas appreciated.

    Thanks and Regards

    Asif.
  • Asif md at Jun 24, 2009 at 11:22 pm
    @Alex

    Thanks.

    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/FAQ#6

    has anyone any experience with this?

    Please suggest.
    Running the rebalancer script (by the way, you only need to run it once)
    redistributes all of your data for you. That is, after you've run the
    rebalancer, your data should be stored evenly among your 10 nodes.

    Alex
    I have added 7 nodes to my 3 node cluster. I followed the following steps
    do this

    1. added the node's ip to conf/slaves at master
    2. ran bin/start-balance.sh at each node

    As i loaded the data when the size of the cluster was three which is now
    TEN. Can i do anything to redistribute the data among all the nodes?

    Any ideas appreciated.

    Thanks and Regards

    Asif.
  • Konstantin Shvachko at Jun 25, 2009 at 12:28 am
    These links should help you to rebalance the nodes:

    http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module2.html#rebalancing
    http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/hdfs_user_guide.html#Rebalancer
    http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/commands_manual.html#balancer
    http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12368261/RebalanceDesign6.pdf

    --Konstantin

    asif md wrote:
[...]

  • Asif md at Jun 25, 2009 at 12:37 am
    @Konstantin

    I'll try those . Thanks.

    More comments are welcome.

    On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Alex Loddengaard <alex@cloudera.com>

    Running the rebalancer script (by the way, you only need to run it once)
    redistributes all of your data for you. That is, after you've run the
    rebalancer, your data should be stored evenly among your 10 nodes.

    Alex

    I have added 7 nodes to my 3 node cluster. I followed the following
    steps
    do this

    1. added the node's ip to conf/slaves at master
    2. ran bin/start-balance.sh at each node

    As i loaded the data when the size of the cluster was three which is now
    TEN. Can i do anything to redistribute the data among all the nodes?

    Any ideas appreciated.

    Thanks and Regards

    Asif.

groupcommon-user @