I am curious about the state of this fix. It is listed as
"Incompatible", but is resolved and committed (according to the
comments). Is the backup name node going to make it into 0.21? Will it
remove the SPOF for HDFS? And if so, what is the proposed release
timeline for 0.21?

Search Discussions

  • Steve Loughran at Jun 22, 2009 at 9:37 am

    Andrew Wharton wrote:

    I am curious about the state of this fix. It is listed as
    "Incompatible", but is resolved and committed (according to the
    comments). Is the backup name node going to make it into 0.21? Will it
    remove the SPOF for HDFS? And if so, what is the proposed release
    timeline for 0.21?
    The way to deal with HA -which the BackupNode doesn't promise- is to get
    involved in developing and testing the leading edge source tree.

    The 0.21 cutoff is approaching, BackupNode is in there, but it needs a
    lot more tests. If you want to aid the development, helping to get more
    automated BackupNode tests in there (indeed, tests that simulate more
    complex NN failures, like a corrupt EditLog) would go a long way.

    -steve
  • Brian Levine at Jun 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm
    If the BackupNode doesn't promise HA, then how would additional testing on this feature aid in the HA story? Maybe you could expand on the purpose of HADOOP-4539 because now I'm confused.

    How does the approaching 0.21 cutoff translate into a release date for 0.21?

    -brian

    I am curious about the state of this fix. It is listed as
    "Incompatible", but is resolved and committed (according to the
    comments). Is the backup name node going to make it into 0.21? Will it
    remove the SPOF for HDFS? And if so, what is the proposed release
    timeline for 0.21?
    The way to deal with HA -which the BackupNode doesn't promise- is to get
    involved in developing and testing the leading edge source tree.

    The 0.21 cutoff is approaching, BackupNode is in there, but it needs a
    lot more tests. If you want to aid the development, helping to get more
    automated BackupNode tests in there (indeed, tests that simulate more
    complex NN failures, like a corrupt EditLog) would go a long way.

    -steve

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJun 19, '09 at 7:18p