Hi.

I'm looking to find out, how the InputStream.open() + skip(), compares to
keeping a handle of InputStream() and just seeking the position.

Has anyone compared these approaches, and can advice on their speed?

Regards.

Search Discussions

  • Raghu Angadi at May 26, 2009 at 7:10 pm
    'in.seek(); in.read()' is certainly better than,
    'in = fs.open(); in.seek(); in.read()'

    The difference is is exactly one open() call. So you would save an RPC
    to NameNode.

    There are couple of issues that affect apps that keep the handlers open
    very long time (many hours to days).. but those will be fixed soon.

    Raghu.

    Stas Oskin wrote:
    Hi.

    I'm looking to find out, how the InputStream.open() + skip(), compares to
    keeping a handle of InputStream() and just seeking the position.

    Has anyone compared these approaches, and can advice on their speed?

    Regards.
  • Stas Oskin at May 26, 2009 at 7:39 pm
    Hi.

    Thanks for the answer.

    Would up to 5 minute of handlers cause any issues?

    And same about writing?

    Regards.

    Stas Oskin wrote:
    Hi.

    I'm looking to find out, how the InputStream.open() + skip(), compares to
    keeping a handle of InputStream() and just seeking the position.

    Has anyone compared these approaches, and can advice on their speed?

    Regards.
  • Raghu Angadi at May 26, 2009 at 7:45 pm

    Stas Oskin wrote:
    Hi.

    Thanks for the answer.

    Would up to 5 minute of handlers cause any issues?
    5 min should not cause any issues..
    And same about writing?
    writing is not affected by the couple of issues I mentioned. Writing
    over a long time should work as well as writing over shorter time.

    Raghu.
    Regards.

    Stas Oskin wrote:
    Hi.

    I'm looking to find out, how the InputStream.open() + skip(), compares to
    keeping a handle of InputStream() and just seeking the position.

    Has anyone compared these approaches, and can advice on their speed?

    Regards.
  • Stas Oskin at May 27, 2009 at 7:40 am
    Hi.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Regards.

    Stas Oskin wrote:

    Hi.
    I'm looking to find out, how the InputStream.open() + skip(), compares
    keeping a handle of InputStream() and just seeking the position.

    Has anyone compared these approaches, and can advice on their speed?

    Regards.

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedMay 26, '09 at 12:31p
activeMay 27, '09 at 7:40a
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Stas Oskin: 3 posts Raghu Angadi: 2 posts