In one of the map tasks, i get the following exception:
java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:424)

java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:424)

what could be the reason?

Thanks,
Raakhi

Search Discussions

  • Jason hadoop at Apr 27, 2009 at 7:50 am
    The jvm had a hard failure and crashed

    On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Rakhi Khatwani

    In one of the map tasks, i get the following exception:
    java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:424)

    java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:424)

    what could be the reason?

    Thanks,
    Raakhi

    http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430219422
  • Rakhi Khatwani at Apr 27, 2009 at 8:31 am
    Thanks Jason,
    is there any way we can avoid this exception??

    Thanks,
    Raakhi
[...]

  • Jason hadoop at Apr 27, 2009 at 4:21 pm
    You will need to figure out why your task crashed,
    Check the task logs, there may be some messages there, that give you a hint
    as to what is going on.

    you can enable saving failed task logs and then run the task standalone in
    the isolation runner.
    chapter 7 of my book (alpha available) provides details on this, hoping the
    failure repeats in the controlled environment.

    You could unlimit the core dump size, via hadoop-env.sh *ulimit -c unlimited
    *, but that will require that the failed task logs be available as the core
    will be in the task working directory.

    On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM, jason hadoop <jason.hadoop@gmail.com
    On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Rakhi Khatwani

    In one of the map tasks, i get the following exception:
    java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:424)

    java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:424)

    what could be the reason?

    Thanks,
    Raakhi

    http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430219422

    http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430219422

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedApr 27, '09 at 6:34a
activeApr 27, '09 at 4:21p
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Rakhi Khatwani: 3 posts Jason hadoop: 2 posts