I'm new to Hadoop - so hope you can help with this problem.

I'm trying to set up a small (2-zone) hadoop cluster on Solaris.
start-dfs.sh runs without error, e.g., it prints the following to the
screen:

master: starting datanode, logging to ..
slave: starting datanode, logging to ..

All looks well. However, when I check the DFS admin web page on the
master (on port 50070) it says

------------
Cluster Summary
1 files and directories, 0 blocks = 1 total. Heap Size is 18.5 MB / 448 MB
(4%)
Capacity : 0 KB
DFS Remaining : 0 KB
DFS Used : 0 KB
DFS Used% : 0 %
Live Nodes : 0
Dead Nodes : 0

There are no datanodes in the cluster
------------

I had a look in the datanode logs and they were empty on both master and
slave.

Running netstat -an on the master shows that it is listening on ports
50070, 50090 and 54310 (I changed fs.default.name to avoid a port
conflict). The slave has no hadoop-related ports active although there is
a single com.sun.management.jmxremote process running.

FYI a single-node pseudo-distributed installation worked fine on the
master. I'm running hadoop-0.17.1. I did not run start-mapred.sh.

Advice/suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,
B Butler

Search Discussions

  • Xavier Stevens at Aug 14, 2008 at 7:19 pm
    Is there a way to un-blacklist a node without restarting hadoop?

    Thanks,

    -Xavier
  • Arun C Murthy at Aug 14, 2008 at 8:44 pm
    Xavier,
    Is there a way to un-blacklist a node without restarting hadoop?
    Which blacklist are you talking about? Per-job blacklist of
    TaskTrackers? Hadoop Daemons?

    Arun
  • Xavier Stevens at Aug 14, 2008 at 9:12 pm
    I don't think this is the per-job blacklist. The datanode is still
    running but the tasktracker isn't on the slave machine. Can I just
    "start-mapred" on that machine?

    -Xavier

    Is there a way to un-blacklist a node without restarting hadoop?
    Which blacklist are you talking about? Per-job blacklist of
    TaskTrackers? Hadoop Daemons?

    Arun
  • Lohit at Aug 14, 2008 at 8:35 pm
    One way I could think of is to just restart mapred daemons.
    ./bin/stop-mapred.sh
    ./bin/start-mapred.sh

    Thanks,
    Lohit

    Is there a way to un-blacklist a node without restarting hadoop?

    Thanks,

    -Xavier

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop