Hi, I am preparing for an upgrade from 0.16.0 to 0.17.1 -
the status of the repository currently shows

Upgrade for version -11 has been completed.
Upgrade is not finalized.

Q1: AFAIK - this cluster was started on 0.16.0 - why is the repository
showing that it is in the middle of an upgrade?
Q2: Do i have to finalizeUpgrade before upgrading the package? [there was
once an attempt to go to 0.16.1 - could this be a remnant of that ?]

thanks for pointers and directions on doing this right.

-prasana

  • Raghu Angadi at Aug 12, 2008 at 4:53 am

    prasana.iyengar wrote:
    Hi, I am preparing for an upgrade from 0.16.0 to 0.17.1 -
    the status of the repository currently shows

    Upgrade for version -11 has been completed.
    Upgrade is not finalized.

    Q1: AFAIK - this cluster was started on 0.16.0 - why is the repository
    showing that it is in the middle of an upgrade?
    Its not in the middle of upgrade.
    Q2: Do i have to finalizeUpgrade before upgrading the package?
    yes. note that you don't need to restart cluster to finalize.
    [there was
    once an attempt to go to 0.16.1 - could this be a remnant of that ?]
    most yes if NameNode shows that is it running 0.16.1 right now. Other
    wise it would be the last successful upgrade.
    thanks for pointers and directions on doing this right.
    Please see the "Upgrade wiki" on hadoop site for more info.

    Raghu.
    -prasana
  • Prasana.iyengar at Aug 12, 2008 at 6:48 am

    Its not in the middle of upgrade.
    Q2: Do i have to finalizeUpgrade before upgrading the package?
    yes. note that you don't need to restart cluster to finalize.
    thanks for the clarification.
    [there was
    once an attempt to go to 0.16.1 - could this be a remnant of that ?]
    most yes if NameNode shows that is it running 0.16.1 right now. Other
    wise it would be the last successful upgrade.

    namenode package is 0.16.0 - so no upgrade since the initial installation
    for that version.
    thanks for pointers and directions on doing this right.
    Please see the "Upgrade wiki" on hadoop site for more info.
    Ref: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop%20Upgrade
    I ran the fsck and the hdfs shows a status of HEALTHY; so I am going to try
    to follow the "simplified upgrade process"
    in summary:
    stop-all.sh ; upgrade ; start-all.sh -upgrade

    thanks,

    -prasana

  • Konstantin Shvachko at Aug 12, 2008 at 5:29 pm
    It looks like we need to upgrade our upgrade procedure documentation.
    Manual upgrade steps were necessary when we did not have the -upgrade
    option to start the servers.
    Now the "simplified procedure" is relevant of course.
    Same as "Brief Upgrade Procedure" in Hadoop 0.14 Upgrade.

    Thanks,
    --konstantin

    prasana.iyengar wrote:
[...]

groupcommon-user @