I am using map/reduce with hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar to process the data
with php scripts. I have coded to process the data the blow is an example of
word counts from the input.

bin/hadoop jar contrib/hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar -mapper
/var/www/search/hadoop/wc-mapper.php -reducer
/var/www/search/hadoop/wc-reducer.php -input input/* -output output

What I am looking to do is get and store the input and output from/in hbase.

Is that possible with hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar?
If so can I get a command line example?

thanks
Billy

Search Discussions

  • Michael Stack at Nov 10, 2007 at 9:38 pm

    Billy wrote:
    ..

    What I am looking to do is get and store the input and output from/in hbase.
    I haven't tried it but it looks like you can specify input and output
    classes for streaming with -inputformat and -outputformat options.

    Try setting these to TableInputFormat [1] and TableOutputFormat [2]
    respectively.

    Usual caveats apply: These hbase classes need to be either bundled into
    your job jar -- awkward in this case since you are using the streaming
    job jar -- or they need to be on the cluster CLASSPATH (Add the
    hadoop*hbase.jar to lib directory across the cluster is probably easiest
    thing to do).

    St.Ack

    1.
    http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/hudson/job/Hadoop-Nightly/javadoc/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapred/TableInputFormat.html
    2.
    http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/hudson/job/Hadoop-Nightly/javadoc/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapred/TableOutputFormat.html
  • Billy at Nov 11, 2007 at 1:12 am
    Can you show me an example on how that would be down with the command line?

    "Michael Stack" <stack@duboce.net> wrote in
    message news:4736244E.1050804@duboce.net...
    Billy wrote:
    ..

[...]

  • Stack at Nov 14, 2007 at 12:42 am
    I tried using streaming to dump into a hbase table. As things are
    currently written, it unfortunately won't work. Streaming would seem to
    presume keys and values of type Text whereas the TableOutputFormat takes
    a key of type Text but the value is expected to be MapWritable (where
    the keys are column names). Even if you could do types other than Text
    in Streaming, an MW type is awkward for php/python, etc., to conpose.

    Regards your question as to how php might access hbase, at the moment
    your options are few:

    + There is the Edward Yoon patch that you've already tripped over,
    hadoop-2171. It puts up an IPC server that fields HQL strings. The
    server does the HQL parse and forwards the interpreted request to the
    hbase cluster. Included is a first cut at php code that is capable of
    making the basic method call against the remote java IPC server.
    + If traffic is light and your requests are read-only, there is the HQL
    page in the master's webui.

    If hbase had a REST interface, hadoop-2068, would that work for you?

    St.Ack

    Billy wrote:
    Can you show me an example on how that would be down with the command line?

    "Michael Stack" <stack@duboce.net> wrote in
    message news:4736244E.1050804@duboce.net...
    Billy wrote:
    ..

[...]

  • Billy at Nov 16, 2007 at 5:00 am
    I was looking for a way to replace mysql with hbase so I could serve data on
    websites. HADOOP-2171 solves that problem seams. I have not tested it much
    but latest patch (v02) seams to be working correctly. I thank I can get the
    hadoop-Streaming to work for what I need but it seams if I want to take full
    advantage of hadoop map/reduce I am going to have to learn java :)

    Thanks for the help and patches.
    Keep up the good work and we will have a production version released before
    you know it.

    Billy

    Billy wrote:
    Can you show me an example on how that would be down with the command
    line?

    "Michael Stack" <stack@duboce.net> wrote in
    message news:4736244E.1050804@duboce.net...
    Billy wrote:
    ..

[...]

  • Edward yoon at Nov 16, 2007 at 5:16 am
    http://shell.hadoop.co.kr/PHPClient.php

    You can see the example by clicking the link above about the latest patch (v02).
    And, It is just first step work for proof of RDBMS ability

    But, I'm not sure if it will be commited to svn source tree.
    (I'm not a source committer.)

    So, Click the "Vote it" button please. :)

    Thanks,
    Edward J. Yoon
    ------------------------------

    B. Regards,

    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
    Home : http://www.udanax.org

    Billy wrote:
    Can you show me an example on how that would be down with the command
    line?

    "Michael Stack" wrote in
    message news:4736244E.1050804@duboce.net...
    Billy wrote:
    ..

[...]

  • Billy at Nov 16, 2007 at 5:33 am
    Voted for when I ran across thanks for the work.

    Billy

    "edward yoon" <webmaster@udanax.org> wrote in
    message news:BAY140-W2940DB80C74DEBF5420C0DC5830@phx.gbl...

    Billy wrote:
    Can you show me an example on how that would be down with the command
    line?

    "Michael Stack" wrote in
    message news:4736244E.1050804@duboce.net...
    Billy wrote:
    ..

[...]

    Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word scramble
    challenge with star power.
  • Billy at Nov 11, 2007 at 5:57 am
    Basically what I am trying to do is access hbase from php sense I do not
    know java and have not found it fun to learn

    I was looking around and found this

    but am unsure if it is what I thank it is looks like a way to access hbase
    from a socket server I have coded socket server/client in the past in php so
    the question is how would I use this to get access from say php.

    would I add this and rebuild the hbase file somehow?

    Remember I am new to java so have vary little knowing on how to do stuff.

    Billy

    "Billy" <sales@pearsonwholesale.com> wrote in
    message news:fh55ok$r4i$1@ger.gmane.org...
    I am using map/reduce with hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar to process the data
    with php scripts. I have coded to process the data the blow is an example
    of word counts from the input.

    bin/hadoop jar contrib/hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar -mapper
    /var/www/search/hadoop/wc-mapper.php -reducer
    /var/www/search/hadoop/wc-reducer.php -input input/* -output output

    What I am looking to do is get and store the input and output from/in
    hbase.

    Is that possible with hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar?
    If so can I get a command line example?

    thanks
    Billy

  • Vuk Ercegovac at Nov 11, 2007 at 10:58 pm
    In addition to setting the inputformat and outputformat classes, there
    seems to be an option to specify additional name,value pairs
    in the jobconf ("-jobconf"). The input and output format classes need
    additional arguments that are not set using the other streaming arguments.
    One example is the list of columns to scan. Please have a look at the
    "initJob" method in o.a.h.hbase.mapred.TableMap and
    o.a.h.hbase.mapred.TableReduce as well as the junit test,
    o.a.h.hbase.mapred.TestTableMapReduce for how these are used.
    I have not used the streaming package so have not tried this myself.

    "Billy"
    <sales@pearsonwho
    lesale.com> To
    Sent by: news hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
    <news@ger.gmane.o cc
    rg>
    Subject
    Re: map/reduce with hbase
    11/10/2007 09:56
    PM

    Please respond to
    hadoop-user@lucen
    e.apache.org

[...]

  • Edward yoon at Nov 13, 2007 at 9:42 am
    See my socket communication example between a php client and a java server.

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12369419/patch_v01.txt

    But, i don't know what you want exactly.
    Thanks.
    ------------------------------

    B. Regards,

    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
    Home : http://www.udanax.org

    Basically what I am trying to do is access hbase from php sense I do not
    know java and have not found it fun to learn

    I was looking around and found this

    but am unsure if it is what I thank it is looks like a way to access hbase
    from a socket server I have coded socket server/client in the past in php so
    the question is how would I use this to get access from say php.

    would I add this and rebuild the hbase file somehow?

    Remember I am new to java so have vary little knowing on how to do stuff.

    Billy

    "Billy" wrote in
    message news:fh55ok$r4i$1@ger.gmane.org...
    I am using map/reduce with hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar to process the data
    with php scripts. I have coded to process the data the blow is an example
    of word counts from the input.

    bin/hadoop jar contrib/hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar -mapper
    /var/www/search/hadoop/wc-mapper.php -reducer
    /var/www/search/hadoop/wc-reducer.php -input input/* -output output

    What I am looking to do is get and store the input and output from/in
    hbase.

    Is that possible with hadoop-0.15.0-streaming.jar?
    If so can I get a command line example?

    thanks
    Billy

  • Billy at Nov 16, 2007 at 5:28 am
    Thanks for the patches they seam to be working atm.

    I will use it for a while and see what suggestions or bugs I can find and
    let you know.

    right now the only thing I can think of is
    return 1 for successful insert/delete and 0 for failed insert/delete

    Thanks again.

    message news:BAY140-W38B38EF3B7095A628530A3C5800@phx.gbl...

[...]

    Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
    today.
  • Edward yoon at Nov 16, 2007 at 6:17 am
    Sounds good.

    Thanks, Billy.

    ------------------------------

    B. Regards,

    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
    Home : http://www.udanax.org

    Thanks for the patches they seam to be working atm.

    I will use it for a while and see what suggestions or bugs I can find and
    let you know.

    right now the only thing I can think of is
    return 1 for successful insert/delete and 0 for failed insert/delete

    Thanks again.

    Billy

    "edward yoon" wrote in
[...]

  • Edward yoon at Nov 16, 2007 at 6:36 am
    Sounds good.

    Thanks, Billy.

    B. Regards,

    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.

[...]