Hi all

I'm getting started with Hadoop and with Yahoo Pig
(http://research.yahoo.com/project/pig).

I decided to took a look at the code and made some small changes; I
announce them here if anyone is interested:

* The Grub console now has basic completion functionality using jline.
* It's compiled for a recent Hadoop release. I tried to use 0.14.2
but I got errors executing the MapReduce jobs, so I had to switch to
0.13.1.
* I removed the support for executing Hadoop from Pig. I think it's
easier to configure a separate Hadoop instance and keep the
configuration files outside the main jar file.

The code is distributed under the BSD license (the same used by Pig)
and it's published the in my personal repository:

http://hg.cavorite.com/public/pig

Regards

Juan Manuel Caicedo

Search Discussions

  • Edward yoon at Oct 25, 2007 at 1:32 pm
    Hi, Have you seen this paper?

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PigProposal

    ----
    B. Regards,
    Edward yoon (Assistant Manager/R&D Center/NHN, corp.)
    +82-31-600-6183, +82-10-7149-7856

    I'm getting started with Hadoop and with Yahoo Pig
    (http://research.yahoo.com/project/pig).

    I decided to took a look at the code and made some small changes; I
    announce them here if anyone is interested:

    * The Grub console now has basic completion functionality using jline.
    * It's compiled for a recent Hadoop release. I tried to use 0.14.2
    but I got errors executing the MapReduce jobs, so I had to switch to
    0.13.1.
    * I removed the support for executing Hadoop from Pig. I think it's
    easier to configure a separate Hadoop instance and keep the
    configuration files outside the main jar file.

    The code is distributed under the BSD license (the same used by Pig)
    and it's published the in my personal repository:

    http://hg.cavorite.com/public/pig

    Regards

    Juan Manuel Caicedo
    pig now. You can subscribe to pig-user and
    pig-dev@incubator.apache.org. We are still jumping through the last
    hoops within Yahoo on getting the code published in the Apache
    incubator, but we expect to have that happen any time now.

    Between the time it was posted on Yahoo's research page and when we
    started the incubator process, we at Yahoo have already updated pig to
    work with hadoop 0.14.x and pulled out the support for executing hadoop
    from pig. But we would be very interested in seeing your jline support
    integrated into pig.

    Please keep an eye on these lists for announcements of when the up to
    date code is available on apache.

    Alan.

    Juan Manuel Caicedo wrote:
[...]

  • Juan Manuel Caicedo at Oct 26, 2007 at 3:46 am
    Hi Alan

    I'm glad to know that Pig is actively developed and I'm really
    interested in contributing to the project.

    I'm going to keep working on the jline support and I hope I can
    integrate it soon.

    Juan Manuel
    jline in grunt is great. As someone else already pointed out, pig is in
    the process of becoming an apache project in its own right. See
    http://wiki.apache.org/pig/. We also have mailing lists and jira for

    Juan Manuel Caicedo wrote:
[...]

  • Rafael Turk at Oct 27, 2007 at 5:28 pm
    Does any one have comments about integrating/porting or any other form of
    interaction between Yahoo PIG and HBase?

    []s

    Rafael

    I'm getting started with Hadoop and with Yahoo Pig
    (http://research.yahoo.com/project/pig).

    I decided to took a look at the code and made some small changes; I
    announce them here if anyone is interested:

    * The Grub console now has basic completion functionality using jline.
    * It's compiled for a recent Hadoop release. I tried to use 0.14.2
    but I got errors executing the MapReduce jobs, so I had to switch to
    0.13.1.
    * I removed the support for executing Hadoop from Pig. I think it's
    easier to configure a separate Hadoop instance and keep the
    configuration files outside the main jar file.

    The code is distributed under the BSD license (the same used by Pig)
    and it's published the in my personal repository:

    http://hg.cavorite.com/public/pig

    Regards

    Juan Manuel Caicedo
  • Edward yoon at Oct 28, 2007 at 12:30 am

    Does any one have comments about integrating/porting or any other form of
    interaction between Yahoo PIG and HBase?
    See these papers,

    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell
    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell/ShellPlans

    ------------------------------
    B. Regards,
    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
    Home : http://www.udanax.org

[...]

  • Edward yoon at Oct 28, 2007 at 2:13 am
    P.S : On close view, I think hbase storage option can be added to syntax of the load statement in PIG, but i'm not sure.
    If i can do it, i'll make an issue about this.

    Edward.
    ------------------------------
    B. Regards,
    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
    Home : http://www.udanax.org

[...]

  • Alan Gates at Oct 29, 2007 at 4:06 pm
    After looking a little at HBase, it looks like building load and store
    functions in pig to read from and write to hbase shouldn't be too hard.
    Changing pig to take advantage of more hbase features than just full
    scan and a new version of rows in a table would take quite a bit more work.

    Alan Gates.
    Yahoo!

    edward yoon wrote:
[...]

    Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word scramble challenge with star power.
  • Edward yoon at Oct 30, 2007 at 5:27 am

    After looking a little at HBase, it looks like building load and store > functions in pig to read from and write to hbase shouldn't be too hard.
    yeah, i agree.
    Changing pig to take advantage of more hbase features than just full > scan and a new version of rows in a table would take quite a bit more work.
    I'm thinking of moving hbase shell works to pig latin project.
    what do you think?
    ------------------------------
    B. Regards,
    Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
    Home : http://www.udanax.org> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:02:33 -0700> From: gates@yahoo-inc.com> To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org> Subject: Re: Yahoo Pig - Some updates> > After looking a little at HBase, it looks like building load and store > functions in pig to read from and write to hbase shouldn't be too hard. > Changing pig to take advantage of more hbase features than just full > scan and a new version of rows in a table would take quite a bit more work.> > Alan Gates.> Yahoo!> > edward yoon wrote:> > P.S : On close view, I think hbase storage option can be added to syntax of the load statement in PIG, but i'm not sure.> > If i can do it, i'll make an issue about this.> >> > Edward.> > ------------------------------> > B. Regards,> > Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.> > Home : http://www.udanax.org> >> >> > > >> From: webmaster@udanax.org> >> To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org> >> Subject: RE: Yahoo Pig - Some updates> >> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 00:29:50 +0000> >>> >>> >> > >>> Does any one have comments about integrating/porting or any other form of> >>> interaction between Yahoo PIG and HBase?> >>> > >> See these papers,> >>> >> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell> >> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell/ShellPlans> >>> >> ------------------------------> >> B. Regards,> >> Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.> >> Home : http://www.udanax.org> >>> >>> >> > >>> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:27:31 -0300> >>> From: rafael.turk@gmail.com> >>> To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org; juan@cavorite.com> >>> Subject: Re: Yahoo Pig - Some updates> >>>> >>> Does any one have comments about integrating/porting or any other form of> >>> interaction between Yahoo PIG and HBase?> >>>> >>> []s> >>>> >>> Rafael> >>>> >>>> >>> On 10/25/07, Juan Manuel Caicedo wrote:> >>> > >>>> Hi all> >>>>> >>>> I'm getting started with Hadoop and with Yahoo Pig> >>>> (http://research.yahoo.com/project/pig).> >>>>> >>>> I decided to took a look at the code and made some small changes; I> >>>> announce them here if anyone is interested:> >>>>> >>>> * The Grub console now has basic completion functionality using jline.> >>>> * It's compiled for a recent Hadoop release. I tried to use 0.14.2> >>>> but I got errors executing the MapReduce jobs, so I had to switch to> >>>> 0.13.1.> >>>> * I removed the support for executing Hadoop from Pig. I think it's> >>>> easier to configure a separate Hadoop instance and keep the> >>>> configuration files outside the main jar file.> >>>>> >>>> The code is distributed under the BSD license (the same used by Pig)> >>>> and it's published the in my personal repository:> >>>>> >>>> http://hg.cavorite.com/public/pig> >>>>> >>>> Regards> >>>>> >>>> Juan Manuel Caicedo> >>>>> >>>> > >> _________________________________________________________________> >> Peek-a-boo FREE Tricks & Treats for You!> >> http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us> >> > >> > _________________________________________________________________> > Climb to the top of the charts! Play Star Shuffle: the word scramble challenge with star power.> > http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_oct>
  • Edward yoon at Oct 30, 2007 at 5:38 am
    Sorry for broken text email.
[...]

  • Edward yoon at Nov 1, 2007 at 3:25 am
    I made up the issue for connection between pig and hbase.Hope this helps.

[...]
  • Edward yoon at Nov 1, 2007 at 3:30 am
    (Sorry for my broken text email.)

[...]

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop