Hi!
I am PHP Developer & Linux Administrator.

I am very new at hadoop & I have some questions.

1. Is hadoop only configuration based Administration like Linux
Administration with scripting requirement
or fully programming required.

2. If programming required then which language required to know.

3. Can I use PHP with hadoop.

4. Is there any good howtos or Manual to work with hadoop.

5. What is the main difference with normal clustering techniques.

Thanks & Regards,
Sukalyan Banga

Search Discussions

  • Jonathan Hendler at Oct 20, 2007 at 12:59 pm
    Hi Sukalyan,

    Have you been to the website and read documentation at
    http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/?

    More below:

    Sukalyan Banga wrote:
    Hi!
    I am PHP Developer & Linux Administrator.

    I am very new at hadoop & I have some questions.

    1. Is hadoop only configuration based Administration like Linux
    Administration with scripting requirement
    or fully programming required.

    Hadoop requires both system administration and programming.
    2. If programming required then which language required to know.

    Java works best.
    3. Can I use PHP with hadoop.
    Yes and no. Hadoop is best with Java, but Java provides environments or
    interfaces for PHP (Quercus), Python (Jython etc), and C++ through JNI,
    and more.
    4. Is there any good howtos or Manual to work with hadoop.
    Lot's of documentation online
    http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/
    Faq = http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ
    5. What is the main difference with normal clustering techniques.
    The documentation covers some of this, but you might also look at
    wikipedia article on MapReduce to get started.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MapReduce

    Thanks & Regards,
    Sukalyan Banga
  • Allen Wittenauer at Oct 20, 2007 at 3:59 pm