I am new to hadoop, and tried to setup a distributed hadoop system.
But when I tried to run the example job, it stack dumped with the
following exception:

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: Unknown
protocol to name node: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobSubmissionProtocol

I setup hadoop 0.14.1 on two machines, where one acts as both the name
node and job tracker, while the other one is just a slave

When I set it up on a single machine and ran it standalone, it worked
fine. Please let me know if more information is needed to help
troubleshoot. Thanks!

-- Jim

Search Discussions

  • Khalil Honsali at Oct 8, 2007 at 10:19 pm
    Have you verified connection between the two machines regardless of Hadoop
    (ping, ssh, iptables...etc) ?

    I am new to hadoop, and tried to setup a distributed hadoop system.
    But when I tried to run the example job, it stack dumped with the
    following exception:

    org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: Unknown
    protocol to name node: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobSubmissionProtocol

    I setup hadoop 0.14.1 on two machines, where one acts as both the name
    node and job tracker, while the other one is just a slave

    When I set it up on a single machine and ran it standalone, it worked
    fine. Please let me know if more information is needed to help
    troubleshoot. Thanks!

    -- Jim

    Honsali Khalil − 本査理 カリル
    Academic>Japan>NIT>Grad. Sc. Eng.>Dept. CS>Hiroshi&Tsumura Lab.
    http://www.matlab.nitech.ac.jp/~k-hon/
    +81 (zero-)eight-zero 5134 8119
    k.honsali@ezweb.ne.jp (instant reply mail)
  • Jim the Standing Bear at Oct 9, 2007 at 12:47 am
    Hi Khalil,

    Yes, SSH connection between the two machines works fine.

    -- Jim

    --
    --------------------------------------
    Standing Bear Has Spoken

    -Michael

[...]

  • Prabu at Jan 7, 2013 at 9:15 am

    Jim the Standing Bear writes:

    Hi,

    I am new to hadoop, and tried to setup a distributed hadoop system.
    But when I tried to run the example job, it stack dumped with the
    following exception:

    org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException: Unknown
    protocol to name node: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobSubmissionProtocol

    I setup hadoop 0.14.1 on two machines, where one acts as both the name
    node and job tracker, while the other one is just a slave

    When I set it up on a single machine and ran it standalone, it worked
    fine. Please let me know if more information is needed to help
    troubleshoot. Thanks!

    Hi,

    I'm right now facing the same issue(the same protocol error) while setting up
    hadoop on single standalone machine. Since you were successful on setting it
    up on standalone machine, please guide me as how to fix it.
  • Jagat Singh at Jan 7, 2013 at 9:19 am
    Can you please post your conf files

[...]

  • Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli at Jan 7, 2013 at 9:50 am
    You are pointing your JobClient to the Namenode. Check your
    mapred.job.tracker address and make sure it points to the correct
    JobTracker node.

    Also 0.14 is very very old. Please use 1.* releases.

    HTH,
    +Vinod

[...]

    Hortonworks Inc.
    http://hortonworks.com/
  • Mohammad Tariq at Jan 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm
    Make sure all the config settings are OK and you have proper dns
    resolution. Modify the line "127.0.1.1" in your /etc/hosts file to
    "127.0.0.1". And, I completely agree with Vinod sir. 0.14 is ancient now.

    HTH

    P.S : you can go
    here<http://cloudfront.blogspot.in/2012/07/how-to-configure-hadoop.html#.UOwNGZsQSv4>,
    in case you still need some help.

[...]