Hey,

I am a Pig newbie, I am trying to setup Pig over a solaris cluster with
hadoop 13.1. I tried both ways of installing pig

1) I tried using the pig jar, I get the grunt > prompt but with these
errors
[z14098BE:~/pig-src] bbansal$ java -jar pig.jar -
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$VersionMismatch: Protocol
org.apache.hadoop.dfs.ClientProtocol version mismatch. (client = 9, server =
18)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC.getProxy(RPC.java:252)
at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient.(DistributedFileSystem.java:67)
at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FilterFileSystem.initialize(FilterFileSystem.java:57)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.getNamed(FileSystem.java:119)
at
com.yahoo.pig.impl.mapreduceExec.MapReduceLauncher.init(MapReduceLauncher.java:772)
at
com.yahoo.pig.impl.mapreduceExec.MapReduceLauncher.main(MapReduceLauncher.java:543)
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$VersionMismatch: Protocol
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobSubmissionProtocol version mismatch. (client =
3, server = 4)
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC.getProxy(RPC.java:252)
at
com.yahoo.pig.impl.mapreduceExec.MapReduceLauncher.init(MapReduceLauncher.java:777)
at
com.yahoo.pig.impl.mapreduceExec.MapReduceLauncher.main(MapReduceLauncher.java:543)
grunt>

2) I was also trying to build pig from source using the ReadMe commets, but
my Ant/Hadoop knowledge is primal can someone give me some more details
about the path/lib settings for pig built.

Thanks in advance.

  • Shane Butler at Sep 20, 2007 at 10:34 pm
    Are you using the version of Hadoop that is bundled with Pig? I had a
    similar error but it worked when I followed the instructions as per
    the "RUNNING HADOOP" section of the Pig readme.
    Shane
    I am a Pig newbie, I am trying to setup Pig over a solaris cluster with
    hadoop 13.1. I tried both ways of installing pig

    1) I tried using the pig jar, I get the grunt > prompt but with these
    errors
    [z14098BE:~/pig-src] bbansal$ java -jar pig.jar -
    org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$VersionMismatch: Protocol
    org.apache.hadoop.dfs.ClientProtocol version mismatch. (client = 9, server =
    18)
    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC.getProxy(RPC.java:252)
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient.<init>(DFSClient.java:105)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DistributedFileSystem$RawDistributedFileSystem.initialize(DistributedFileSystem.java:67)
[...]

  • Bhupesh bansal at Sep 21, 2007 at 12:45 am
    I am using hadoop 0.13.1 from Hadoop site. Pig suggests using Hadoop 0.12.1
    which I cannot find anywhere rite now. I got pig binary/src from
    http://research.yahoo.com/project/pig. I didnt got any bundled Hadoop
    version with that.

    Bhupesh

    Shane Butler wrote:
[...]

    =
    3, server = 4)
    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC.getProxy(RPC.java:252)
    at
    com.yahoo.pig.impl.mapreduceExec.MapReduceLauncher.init(MapReduceLauncher.java:777)
    at
    com.yahoo.pig.impl.mapreduceExec.MapReduceLauncher.main(MapReduceLauncher.java:543)
    grunt>

    2) I was also trying to build pig from source using the ReadMe commets,
    but
    my Ant/Hadoop knowledge is primal can someone give me some more details
    about the path/lib settings for pig built.

    Thanks in advance.
  • Shane Butler at Sep 21, 2007 at 2:39 am
    What I mean is type "java -jar pig.jar -H namenode" to start the
    namenode and then follow the other instructions in the readme to start
    the other Hadoop services...
    Shane

    Shane Butler wrote:
[...]

  • Bhupesh bansal at Sep 21, 2007 at 10:21 pm
    I tried what you suggested, It complained the same mismatch client versions
    thing again, I was
    finally able to resolve issue by going back to hadoop-0.12.1. from svn tag
    release-0.12.1 will not compile out of box due to some missing dependencies
    on org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter class. This class can be
    obtained from later hadoop releases though.

    Shane Butler wrote:
[...]

  • Bhupesh bansal at Sep 22, 2007 at 12:38 am
    I actually had a bug in my config, what you suggested works fine.
    I was able to start pig very easily using java -jar pig.jar -H namenode etc.
    thanks for your help

    Bhupesh

    Shane Butler wrote:
[...]

  • Bhupesh bansal at Sep 22, 2007 at 1:22 am
    I am able to start Pig in a single node format, How should I provide the
    slave file for a true distributed execution.

    Best
    Bhupesh

    Shane Butler wrote:
[...]

  • Shane Butler at Sep 24, 2007 at 2:10 am
    I haven't used it like this but I guess you could try use the pig.jar
    to start hadoop on those machines if you have hadoop-site.xml
    configured correctly (ie. inside the jar).
    Shane