I am seeing a lot of these kind of messages in the namenode log file.
Can somebody point me in the right direction as to why this might be
happening?

DIR* FSDirectory.mkdirs: failed to create directory

To give background all servers have same configuration, linux 2G rams,
about 500G of dfs space striped hardware raid 0, using less that 1G
each. All servers are on dhcp. And the permissions on the local
directories that hold the file system seem to be correct (meaning full
access for user running datanode process).

Dennis

Search Discussions

  • Doug Cutting at May 23, 2006 at 4:34 pm

    Dennis Kubes wrote:
    I am seeing a lot of these kind of messages in the namenode log file.
    Can somebody point me in the right direction as to why this might be
    happening?

    DIR* FSDirectory.mkdirs: failed to create directory
    I have seen these too. I think they just mean that the directory
    already exists. Probably the message should be changed to indicate this.

    Doug
  • Dennis Kubes at May 23, 2006 at 4:40 pm
    I think you are right. It looks like it recursively trys to make the
    parent directories and if they already exist then the lastSuccess is
    still false and the "error" is logged. I will work something up for this.

    Dennis

    Doug Cutting wrote:
    Dennis Kubes wrote:
    I am seeing a lot of these kind of messages in the namenode log
    file. Can somebody point me in the right direction as to why this
    might be happening?

    DIR* FSDirectory.mkdirs: failed to create directory
    I have seen these too. I think they just mean that the directory
    already exists. Probably the message should be changed to indicate this.

    Doug

groupcommon-user @
categorieshadoop
postedMay 23, '06 at 4:21p
activeMay 23, '06 at 4:40p
websitehadoop.apache.org...
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Dennis Kubes: 2 posts Doug Cutting: 1 post