Hey gang,

I filed HDFS-3137 so that the 0.23 releases would only support
upgrades from Hadoop version 0.18 or later. People on versions before
0.18 (don't think there are many, if any, people running these) would
have to upgrade to a version like 1.0 and then upgrade again from
there if they wanted to move to 0.23. I think that should be fine but
wanted to call it out here, give people an opportunity to chime in on
the jira.

The motivation is that I'd like to do some HDFS cleanup to enable
another change that would break v0.17 and earlier.

Thanks,
Eli

Search Discussions

  • Todd Lipcon at Mar 24, 2012 at 12:04 am
    Seems reasonable to me. I haven't seen anyone running versions <0.18.3
    in the last 2-3 years, and given the growth in Hadoop usage, I'd say
    95+% of the user community didn't even start using Hadoop until
    0.20.x. 0.18 seems like a reasonable (and still conservative) cut-off
    point.

    -Todd

    --
    Todd Lipcon
    Software Engineer, Cloudera

    Sent from phone
    I filed HDFS-3137 so that the 0.23 releases would only support
    upgrades from Hadoop version 0.18 or later. People on versions before
    0.18 (don't think there are many, if any, people running these) would
    have to upgrade to a version like 1.0 and then upgrade again from
    there if they wanted to move to 0.23. I think that should be fine but
    wanted to call it out here, give people an opportunity to chime in on
    the jira.

    The motivation is that I'd like to do some HDFS cleanup to enable
    another change that would break v0.17 and earlier.

    Thanks,
    Eli
  • Tsz Wo Sze at Mar 24, 2012 at 8:23 am
    +1

    Nicholas

    I filed HDFS-3137 so that the 0.23 releases would only support
    upgrades from Hadoop version 0.18 or later.  People on versions before
    0.18 (don't think there are many, if any, people running these) would
    have to upgrade to a version like 1.0 and then upgrade again from
    there if they wanted to move to 0.23.  I think that should be fine but
    wanted to call it out here, give people an opportunity to chime in on
    the jira.

    The motivation is that I'd like to do some HDFS cleanup to enable
    another change that would break v0.17 and earlier.

    Thanks,
    Eli

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop