HI all,

I am CS student in my final year and I would like to combine the Hadoop
project with GSoC over the summer. I actually run in to Hadoop by mistake,
I was researching some concepts regarding my final year project and ran in
to you guys. I wonder if someone from the group is planning on mentoring
this upcoming summer, I'm highly interested in the project.

I've heard that in previous years, time and effort were placed in to GSoC
participants but it didn't make it to the build. Since I'm not an active
member of developing Hadoop I wonder if you have an Idea of a quantifiable
project I can take. I know some disappointments were raised in the past, I
would like to focus mainly on a quality delivery even if small.

I'm here mainly to listen to you at this moment, any aspects in the
projects you think would fit someone like me?

Good Day,
qballer

Search Discussions

  • Eli Collins at Mar 20, 2012 at 4:56 am
    Hey Doron,

    These links are a good starting point:

    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ProjectSuggestions
    http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopResearchProjects

    I'd also checkout unresolved new features in jira. This query is a
    starting point. You can edit the project field to be "HDFS" or
    "MAPREDUCE" to find jiras specific to either.

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HADOOP+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+issuetype+%3D+%22New+Feature%22+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC%2C+key+DESC

    Thanks,
    Eli
[...]

  • Doron Tsur at Mar 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm
    Hi Eli,

    I was fairly interested in the following:

    1. write new unit tests based on code coverage - The link seems broken to
    me so I couldn't read up
    2. create a distributed JUnit runner on top of Hadoop - I need to read up
    some more about this, but this looks really interesting.

    I was thinking about a project that will have one of the following
    deliverable set:

    Take project 2 and also deliver newbie bug fix every other week in
    common.
    Take project 1 deliver newbie fix every week or moderate bug every other
    week(e.g. Week 1: newbie bug fix, week 2: same, week 3/4: Moderate bug fix).

    I'm trying to think of achievable goals and still have some quality
    contribution, so it sounds right to take a package of things and have them
    down instead of one specific big project. This will also allow me to get to
    know the project from different aspects. This is a main objective for me.

    What do you guys think? Any optional mentors out there?

    Quick question came to mind while reading up some documents, do you have
    access to something fancier than home PC in order to run tests? Is this
    even required?

    Good Day,
    qballer

[...]

  • Eli Collins at Mar 20, 2012 at 8:42 pm

[...]

    Sounds valuable to me.

    Wrt mentor, this list is a good one to query on, perhaps send a new
    email with your idea and request.
    I'd offer but I'm swamped. #hadoop on IRC and the lists are a good resource.
    Quick question came to mind while reading up some documents, do you have
    access to something fancier than home PC in order to run tests? Is this
    even required?
    You could get a big win even on a multi-core system (the tests
    themselves don't effectively use multiple cores, so running multiple
    tests in parallel would give you a speedup even on a laptop (if you
    have sufficient memory).

    Thanks,
    Eli

    Good Day,
    qballer

[...]

  • Varun Thacker at Mar 21, 2012 at 8:21 am
    Hi Eli,

    I'm a student too interested in taking up a hadoop task as a gsoc project.
    There are JIRA tickets tagged explicitly as gsoc so I wanted to discuss a
    few ideas before deciding to take up a particular task.

    I had asked the list earlier and got no replies on it.
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201203.mbox/raw/%3CCAEH2wZDisjFjbezbbSvpWSd%2BAeczxgVqQkZgkCUbwSb9zW-jSA%40mail.gmail.com%3E/1

    Do you know any committers / PMC members who are planning on mentoring
    students for the program so that I could discuss some ideas with them.

    Sorry to bother you with this but I was unable to get a response on IRC
    yesterday too.

[...]

    http://varunthacker.wordpress.com

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop