Hi all,
Release Candidate for Hadoop-1.0.2 is now available for vote, at
http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-1.0.2-rc1/

There are 19 bug fixes and enhancements in this release, including:

HADOOP-7206. added Snappy compression
HDFS-3075. automatically restore previously failed storage directories
MAPREDUCE-3773. Add queue metrics for bucketized job run times

Please see the Release Notes for the full list, at:
http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-1.0.2-rc1/releasenotes.html

Vote will run the statutory 7 days, and close on Monday 26 Mar at 11:30am
PDT.

Thank you,
--Matt
Release Manager, Hadoop 1.0

Search Discussions

  • Matt Foley at Mar 23, 2012 at 2:25 am
    I have to withdraw RC-1, due to a blocker bug found:
    HADOOP-8201 breaks the Snappy compression/decompression

    I will regenerate it tonight.
    Thanks,
    --Matt

    Release Candidate for Hadoop-1.0.2 is now available for vote, at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-1.0.2-rc1/

    There are 19 bug fixes and enhancements in this release, including:

    HADOOP-7206. added Snappy compression
    HDFS-3075. automatically restore previously failed storage directories
    MAPREDUCE-3773. Add queue metrics for bucketized job run times

    Please see the Release Notes for the full list, at:
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-1.0.2-rc1/releasenotes.html

    Vote will run the statutory 7 days, and close on Monday 26 Mar at 11:30am
    PDT.

    Thank you,
    --Matt
    Release Manager, Hadoop 1.0
  • Aaron T. Myers at Mar 23, 2012 at 2:40 am
    Hi Matt,

    I don't understand why this issue is considered a blocker. The JIRA is marked (rightly, I think) as an improvement, not a bug.

    Can you perhaps explain further why this warrants a new RC?

    Thanks a lot,
    Aaron
[...]

  • Matt Foley at Mar 23, 2012 at 6:13 am
    Sorry for lack of clarity; I have now commented in the jira. I believe
    this bug caused Snappy to not be built correctly, which in turn causes MR
    jobs to fail if Snappy compression is configured on.
[...]

  • Roman Shaposhnik at Mar 23, 2012 at 6:18 am

    Sorry for lack of clarity; I have now commented in the jira.  I believe
    this bug caused Snappy to not be built correctly, which in turn causes MR
    jobs to fail if Snappy compression is configured on.
    Not for this release, obviously, but in general perhaps the right solution
    here is unbundle native snappy the same way jsvc got unbundled.

    Thanks,
    Roman.
  • Aaron T. Myers at Mar 23, 2012 at 8:15 am