Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
critical or blocker bugs.
These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that directory.
Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
release.
Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

Best regards,
--Matt
RM for 0.20.205.0

Search Discussions

  • Arpit Gupta at Oct 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm
    Deployed to a cluster of 20 servers, with security and append features enabled.
    Passed our internal test suite. Looks good!

    +1 (non binding)

    --
    Arpit
    arpit@hortonworks.com

    Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
    critical or blocker bugs.
    These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
    A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that directory.
    Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

    Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
    release.
    Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

    Best regards,
    --Matt
    RM for 0.20.205.0
  • Scott Bush at Oct 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm
    +1 (non binding)

    No blocking issues found in Yahoo QE regression testing.
    Performance testing showed no performance regression when compared with
    204.

    Scott
    sbush@yahoo-inc.com

[...]

  • Jitendra Pandey at Oct 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm
    I deployed on 5 node cluster with security turned on and ran mapreduce jobs.
    Verified md5 signature of the rpm.

    +1.
    Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
    critical or blocker bugs.
    These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
    A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that
    directory.
    Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

    Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
    release.
    Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

    Best regards,
    --Matt
    RM for 0.20.205.0
  • Matt Foley at Oct 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm
    Hello,
    The 7-day vote on 0.20.205.0-rc2 is closing tomorrow. Very few people have
    voted.
    Please consider trying and voting on this release candidate. Thank you.

    Best regards,
    --Matt (RM)
    Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
    critical or blocker bugs.
    These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
    A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that
    directory.
    Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

    Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
    release.
    Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

    Best regards,
    --Matt
    RM for 0.20.205.0
  • Tom White at Oct 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm
    +1

    Checksums and signatures were OK.

    I also ran an API compatibility check
    (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7035,
    https://github.com/tomwhite/hadoop-compatibility-tools) and it passed.
    There were three errors, all false positives:

    Class org.apache.hadoop.fs.HarFileSystem
    "E1.2 - API type removed" : field public final static int
    org.apache.hadoop.fs.HarFileSystem.VERSION = 1

    Class org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient
    "E1.2 - API type removed" : method public
    org.apache.hadoop.io.Writable
    org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getQueueAclsForCurrentUser()

    Class org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker$LocalStorage
    "E1.2 - API type removed" : CLASS public static
    org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker$LocalStorage

    In the first, the value changed from 1 to 3, which is a problem for
    clients that reference these constants. We recommend that users
    recompile their code, so this is not a problem. Still, we could
    improve this situation in future
    (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3524150/is-it-possible-to-disable-javacs-inlining-of-static-final-variables).

    The second is is because getQueueAclsForCurrentUser returns a
    QueueAclsInfo (a Writable) which was made public in 205.

    The third is for a private inner class.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
    critical or blocker bugs.
    These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
    A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that directory.
    Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

    Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
    release.
    Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October  (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

    Best regards,
    --Matt
    RM for 0.20.205.0
  • Arun C Murthy at Oct 14, 2011 at 12:10 am
    +1

    Downloaded release, verified checksums and ran a single node cluster.

    Arun
    Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
    critical or blocker bugs.
    These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
    A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that directory.
    Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

    Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
    release.
    Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

    Best regards,
    --Matt
    RM for 0.20.205.0
  • Aaron T. Myers at Oct 14, 2011 at 12:47 am
    +1 (non-binding)

    I downloaded the tar ball and deployed on a 6 node cluster with security
    disabled. I put a few files and ran a few MR jobs, mostly to calculate the
    value of Pi. All worked fine.

    Curiously, the estimated value of Pi was once determined to be
    "4.00000000000000000000", but I suspect this is a function of the parameters
    I gave the Pi job, and not of any deficiency of the RC of 0.20.205. :)

    --
    Aaron T. Myers
    Software Engineer, Cloudera

    Many thanks to the community members who tried out RC1, and found several
    critical or blocker bugs.
    These have been resolved and I have now posted RC2 at
    http://people.apache.org/~mattf/hadoop-0.20.205.0-rc2/
    A copy of the Release Notes are provided at the top level of that
    directory.
    Appropriate artifacts have also been pushed to the Maven staging repo.

    Please download and evaluate it, then vote on accepting it as a public
    release.
    Voting will close at 1am GMT on Saturday 15 October (6pm PDT, Fri 14 Oct).

    Best regards,
    --Matt
    RM for 0.20.205.0
  • Mahadev Konar at Oct 14, 2011 at 12:58 am
    +1. Downloaded the bits, set up a single node cluster and ran example
    jobs. Works fine.

    thanks
    mahadev
[...]

  • Eric Yang at Oct 14, 2011 at 2:11 am
    +1 (non-binding)

    Exercised Hadoop 0.20.205 with HBase 0.90.4+, Pig 0.9.1+, Chukwa trunk on 20 nodes clusters, works fine.

    regards,
    Eric