Hey my fellow hadoop/hbase developers,

I just came across this google compression/decompression package yesterday,
could we make a good use of this compression scheme in hadoop? It's written
in C++ though.

http://code.google.com/p/snappy/

<http://code.google.com/p/snappy/>I haven't looked close into this snappy
package yet but i would love to know about the differences compared to LZO.

Thank you,
Wei Shung

Search Discussions

  • Jean-Daniel Cryans at Mar 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm
    (Please don't cross-post like that, it only adds confusion. I put
    everything in bcc and posted to general instead)

    Their README says the following:

    Snappy usually is faster than algorithms in the same class (e.g. LZO,
    LZF, FastLZ, QuickLZ, etc.) while achieving comparable compression
    ratios.

    Somebody obviously needs to publish some benchmarks, but knowing
    Snappy's origin I can believe that claim.

    Relevant jiras:

    HADOOP-7206 Integrate Snappy compression
    HBASE-3691 Add compressor support for 'snappy', google's compressor

    J-D
    I just came across this google compression/decompression package yesterday,
    could we make a good use of this compression scheme in hadoop? It's written
    in C++ though.

    http://code.google.com/p/snappy/

    <http://code.google.com/p/snappy/>I haven't looked close into this snappy
    package yet but i would love to know about the differences compared to LZO.

    Thank you,
    Wei Shung
  • Segel, Mike at Mar 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm
    Lol...
    It's already in the works...

    Sent from my Palm Pre , Please excuse any spelling errors.

    ________________________________
    I just came across this google compression/decompression package yesterday,
    could we make a good use of this compression scheme in hadoop? It's written
    in C++ though.

    http://code.google.com/p/snappy/

    <http://code.google.com/p/snappy/>I haven't looked close into this snappy
    package yet but i would love to know about the differences compared to LZO.

    Thank you,
    Wei Shung

    The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop
postedMar 23, '11 at 7:13p
activeMar 23, '11 at 7:54p