I noticed that the isSplitable method (and a bunch of other places in
the Hadoop codebase) writes "splitable" where I would have expected
"splittable" (two 't' instead of one).
All spelling functionality I have indicates the 'double t' version is correct.

Should I correct this in the junit test files I'm touching?

--
Best regards,

Niels Basjes

Search Discussions

  • Todd Lipcon at Dec 27, 2010 at 2:20 am
    Hi Niels,

    Unfortunately this is part of a public facing API, so it's a bit tough to
    change without breaking a bunch of dependent code. So, I think despite the
    annoying spelling mistake, it's not worth the pain to fix because of the API
    breakage :(

    If you find other spelling mistakes that are parts of internal APIs, feel
    free to file JIRAs and patches to fix!

    -Todd
    I noticed that the isSplitable method (and a bunch of other places in
    the Hadoop codebase) writes "splitable" where I would have expected
    "splittable" (two 't' instead of one).
    All spelling functionality I have indicates the 'double t' version is
    correct.

    Should I correct this in the junit test files I'm touching?

    --
    Best regards,

    Niels Basjes

    --
    Todd Lipcon
    Software Engineer, Cloudera
  • Christopher Smith at Dec 27, 2010 at 2:29 am
    Is there really much harm in deprecating the incorrect spelling and providing a correct spelling equivalent?

    --Chris
[...]

  • Niels Basjes at Dec 27, 2010 at 9:19 am
    Hi Todd,
    Unfortunately this is part of a public facing API, so it's a bit tough to
    change without breaking a bunch of dependent code. So, I think despite the
    annoying spelling mistake, it's not worth the pain to fix because of the API
    breakage :(
    Yes, I fully agree. Changing public APIs is a monster.
    If you find other spelling mistakes that are parts of internal APIs, feel
    free to file JIRAs and patches to fix!
    The changes I was thinking about are limited to the junit testing
    files for the codecs. --> fully internal

    Specifically this one:
    http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/trunk/src/test/core/org/apache/hadoop/io/compress/TestCodec.java?view=markup

    Which contains (among others) this method: testSplitableCodecs

    As I'm actually touching these methods I'll include the changes in the
    patch I'm currently working on.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten,

    Niels Basjes
  • Todd Lipcon at Dec 27, 2010 at 8:42 pm
    Hi Niels,

    Yep, I'd say for something like that it's fine t fix the spelling as part of
    another patch that touches those functions.

    -Todd
[...]

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop
postedDec 25, '10 at 9:30p