I have created a new candidate build for Hadoop 0.21.0. This fixes
MAPREDUCE-2012 and MAPREDUCE-2014 which were found for the previous
release candidate (1).

This release is being classified as a minor release, which means that
it is API compatible with 0.20.2.

*** This release candidate has not been tested extensively, so it
should not be considered stable.
*** Please download, test and vote before the vote closes on Thursday 19 August.

http://people.apache.org/~tomwhite/hadoop-0.21.0-candidate-2/

The hadoop-0.21.0.tar.gz file is an old-style combined release which
includes Common, HDFS, and MapReduce.

Thanks,
Tom

Search Discussions

  • Tom White at Aug 19, 2010 at 4:41 pm
    +1 Based on running a job in pseudo-distributed mode, and checking the
    signature and checksum.

    Tom
    I have created a new candidate build for Hadoop 0.21.0. This fixes
    MAPREDUCE-2012 and MAPREDUCE-2014 which were found for the previous
    release candidate (1).

    This release is being classified as a minor release, which means that
    it is API compatible with 0.20.2.

    *** This release candidate has not been tested extensively, so it
    should not be considered stable.
    *** Please download, test and vote before the vote closes on Thursday 19 August.

    http://people.apache.org/~tomwhite/hadoop-0.21.0-candidate-2/

    The hadoop-0.21.0.tar.gz file is an old-style combined release which
    includes Common, HDFS, and MapReduce.

    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Hairong Kuang at Aug 20, 2010 at 6:06 am
    +1.

    Hairong
    +1 Based on running a job in pseudo-distributed mode, and checking the
    signature and checksum.

    Tom
    I have created a new candidate build for Hadoop 0.21.0. This fixes
    MAPREDUCE-2012 and MAPREDUCE-2014 which were found for the previous
    release candidate (1).

    This release is being classified as a minor release, which means that
    it is API compatible with 0.20.2.

    *** This release candidate has not been tested extensively, so it
    should not be considered stable.
    *** Please download, test and vote before the vote closes on Thursday 19
    August.

    http://people.apache.org/~tomwhite/hadoop-0.21.0-candidate-2/

    The hadoop-0.21.0.tar.gz file is an old-style combined release which
    includes Common, HDFS, and MapReduce.

    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Doug Cutting at Aug 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm
    +1

    I verified the checksum & signature and ran some of the example
    programs. I also ran RAT to check that sources are licensed correctly.

    I only examined the merged artifact. Do we need to release the others?

    The out-of-box experience isn't great. There's no documentation at the
    top-level telling how to get started. In a subsequent release we might
    add links to the various documents.

    Also, 'bin/start-all.sh' warns that one should use start-dfs.sh and
    start-mapred.sh instead, but those scripts, out-of-the-box, complain
    that that they can't find Common.

    There are some empty java source files in the release, namely:

    ./common/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/fs/ftp/FTPFileSystemConfigKeys.java

    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/namenode/metrics/NameNodeStatisticsMBean.java
    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/namenode/metrics/NameNodeStatistics.java
    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/datanode/metrics/DataNodeStatistics.java
    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/datanode/metrics/DataNodeStatisticsMBean.java

    These issues should not prevent this release, in my opinion.

    Doug
    I have created a new candidate build for Hadoop 0.21.0. This fixes
    MAPREDUCE-2012 and MAPREDUCE-2014 which were found for the previous
    release candidate (1).

    This release is being classified as a minor release, which means that
    it is API compatible with 0.20.2.

    *** This release candidate has not been tested extensively, so it
    should not be considered stable.
    *** Please download, test and vote before the vote closes on Thursday 19 August.

    http://people.apache.org/~tomwhite/hadoop-0.21.0-candidate-2/

    The hadoop-0.21.0.tar.gz file is an old-style combined release which
    includes Common, HDFS, and MapReduce.

    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Tom White at Aug 20, 2010 at 7:09 pm

    I verified the checksum & signature and ran some of the example programs.  I
    also ran RAT to check that sources are licensed correctly.

    I only examined the merged artifact.  Do we need to release the others?
    I think we can release just the merged artifact. It contains the
    source code for the three subprojects, and you can build separate
    binaries from it, if needed.
    The out-of-box experience isn't great.  There's no documentation at the
    top-level telling how to get started.  In a subsequent release we might add
    links to the various documents.

    Also, 'bin/start-all.sh' warns that one should use start-dfs.sh and
    start-mapred.sh instead, but those scripts, out-of-the-box, complain that
    that they can't find Common.
    I think this is because HADOOP_HOME was not set. We can improve this
    to default HADOOP_HOME if not set; I'll create a JIRA.
    There are some empty java source files in the release, namely:

    ./common/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/fs/ftp/FTPFileSystemConfigKeys.java

    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/namenode/metrics/NameNodeStatisticsMBean.java
    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/namenode/metrics/NameNodeStatistics.java
    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/datanode/metrics/DataNodeStatistics.java
    ./hdfs/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hdfs/server/datanode/metrics/DataNodeStatisticsMBean.java
    I've created HADOOP-6917 and HDFS-1349 to tackle these.
    These issues should not prevent this release, in my opinion.
    With three binding PMC +1 votes, the vote passes. I'll start work to
    push out the release.

    Tom

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop