Hi

I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a question - is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be good for a beginner to start with?

I appreciate any suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Search Discussions

  • Momina khan at Dec 10, 2009 at 12:17 pm
    the best place to start is the MapReduce paper by Jeff Dean ...and try
    googling a talk by google's Aron on MapReduce

    momina

    On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Neo Anderson
    I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core
    concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a question -
    is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be good for a beginner
    to start with?

    I appreciate any suggestion.

    Thank you very much.

  • Palikala, Rajendra (CCL) at Dec 10, 2009 at 5:53 pm
    Is any one using Hadoop for ETL in Datawarehousing. Please advise. I know about Hive.

    the best place to start is the MapReduce paper by Jeff Dean ...and try
    googling a talk by google's Aron on MapReduce

    momina

    On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Neo Anderson
    I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core
    concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a question -
    is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be good for a beginner
    to start with?

    I appreciate any suggestion.

    Thank you very much.

  • Kaiyi li at Dec 10, 2009 at 7:44 pm
    you can also watch the cloudera videos which talks about mapreduce and
    hadoop.
    Kaiyi Li

    On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Neo Anderson
    I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core
    concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a question -
    is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be good for a beginner
    to start with?

    I appreciate any suggestion.

    Thank you very much.

  • Isabel Drost at Dec 11, 2009 at 3:52 pm

    On Thu Neo Anderson wrote:

    I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core
    concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a
    question - is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be
    good for a beginner to start with?
    Before going into jira and looking for issues to improve Hadoop, you
    should probably first get acquainted with Hadoop as a user.

    As suggested earlier already, reading the original Map Reduce paper
    should help already.

    The next step would be to go to the Hadoop web page and work through
    the tutorial. Also look at the examples that come with the Hadoop
    distribution.

    Isabel
  • Palikala, Rajendra (CCL) at Dec 11, 2009 at 5:39 pm
    Hi,

    We are thinking of alternate technolgies for our ETL process to Datawrehouse. I was interested in Hadoop. But had a question. Is it possible to build a Hadoop cluster on virtual machines in the same physical box. Has anyone in the group implemented Hadoop on VM's. Please advise.

    Thanks,
    Rajendra

    I am interested in distributed computing and would like to learn core
    concept e.g. MapReduce. However, I am new to Hadoop. So I get a
    question - is there any simple task (e.g. jira issue) that would be
    good for a beginner to start with?
    Before going into jira and looking for issues to improve Hadoop, you
    should probably first get acquainted with Hadoop as a user.

    As suggested earlier already, reading the original Map Reduce paper
    should help already.

    The next step would be to go to the Hadoop web page and work through
    the tutorial. Also look at the examples that come with the Hadoop
    distribution.

    Isabel
  • Daniel Templeton at Dec 11, 2009 at 8:10 pm
    I have run a Hadoop test cluster on Solaris Zones using OpenSolaris.

    Daniel

    Palikala, Rajendra (CCL) wrote:
[...]

groupcommon-dev @
categorieshadoop