Best
Yingfeng

Search Discussions

  • Owen O'Malley at Mar 18, 2009 at 4:41 pm

    On Mar 18, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Yingfeng Zhang wrote:

    Hi, I wonder if there exist any possible trying to add a Dryad layer
    into
    Hadoop, has any plan to do such a work?
    I don't think Dryad is available to anyone outside of Microsoft.

    -- Owen
  • Chidambaran Kollengode at Mar 18, 2009 at 4:51 pm
    Is Dryad available externally?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Yingfeng Zhang
    Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:04 PM
    To: core-dev@hadoop.apache.org
    Subject: Dryad support

    Hi, I wonder if there exist any possible trying to add a Dryad layer
    into
    Hadoop, has any plan to do such a work?

    Best
    Yingfeng
  • Chris K Wensel at Mar 19, 2009 at 9:38 pm
    I do not believe Dryad is available outside of MS and some universities.

    That said, Dryad is finer grained than MapReduce. That is, you would
    build MapReduce using Dryad model elements, not the other way around.

    Further, it offers no persistence layer, Cosmos FS is internal to MS
    and seems to have low regard. The typical model is running Dryad over
    a MS SQL Server cluster (partitioned tables).

    If you are really referring to DryadLINQ like functionality (an API
    that offers up the ability to chain explicit relational/set
    operations), I suggest you take a look at Cascading.

    cheers,
    ckw